Co2 in incubating

purosaviparos

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Do commercial incubators use injected C02 in their process'? What levels do they run? I imagine that this increases growth / hatch rates, does anybody know about this?

Could you help me out a bit please. Why do you think they’d inject CO2 for an oxygen breather? I feel like I’m missing something.

They’ve found that air exchange is not very important in the first ten days or so of incubation, but after that the developing chick needs to get rid of CO2 and breathe in O2. The older they get, the more critical that becomes.

From http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-improve-your-duck-egg-and-goose.html

Carbon Dioxide: To me, the most interesting change with Single Stage Incubation is that carbon dioxide levels are considered very important – and the higher the better at certain points! The air you are breathing right now is about 300-500 parts per million (ppm) of carbon dioxide. For single state incubation, all vents are closed the first 14 days and levels of up to 8000 ppm are desirable!

Now this is great if you can measure CO2 levels (most of us BYCers cant) but the take home is that CO2 levels promote increased circulation development as the embryo's biofeedback senses a higher CO2 level. Leaving oin both plugs on a styrobator for the first 10-12 days (14 for a duck) seems to be a good thing - mind you if you are hand turning, its moot as you exchange the air three times a day.

Could you help me out a bit please. Why do you think they’d inject CO2 for an oxygen breather? I feel like I’m missing something.

They’ve found that air exchange is not very important in the first ten days or so of incubation, but after that the developing chick needs to get rid of CO2 and breathe in O2. The older they get, the more critical that becomes.
From http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-improve-your-duck-egg-and-goose.html

Carbon Dioxide: To me, the most interesting change with Single Stage Incubation is that carbon dioxide levels are considered very important – and the higher the better at certain points! The air you are breathing right now is about 300-500 parts per million (ppm) of carbon dioxide. For single state incubation, all vents are closed the first 14 days and levels of up to 8000 ppm are desirable!

Now this is great if you can measure CO2 levels (most of us BYCers cant) but the take home is that CO2 levels promote increased circulation development as the embryo's biofeedback senses a higher CO2 level. Leaving oin both plugs on a styrobator for the first 10-12 days (14 for a duck) seems to be a good thing - mind you if you are hand turning, its moot as you exchange the air three times a day.

Could you help me out a bit please. I haven't seen a rebuttle. I feel like I’m missing something.

The increased CO2 levels during the first 10 days improved albumin quality

if you google "effects of increased CO2 on an embryo"

you will find loads of scientific articles on the why and how.

Unless you have a jameson single stage incubator and a carbon dioxide analyzer, faggeddaboutit.

Back
Top Bottom