CoAop size and nesting box question

KirstenColorado

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Okay...so my coop is currently 5 1/2 feet long, by 5 1/2 feet wide, with a sloping roof that starts at 6 feet (entrance) down to 4 1/2 feet (back). I have shelving off the floor just below roosting bars and ladders to both areas.
I'm obviously addicted to my new passion! My babies aren't ready to lay quite yet, but I have 13 total. 10 are Gold Link, 1 is RIR, 1 is Aracona and 1 is an Austrolorp. Will this be enough room?
I'll have a lip on the nesting area, with straw as the bedding. Will I need nesting boxes/dividers?
TIA!

Super helpful! And hey, you're in Boulder!! That's where my mom lived for 60 years (I spent half time there and half time with dad in the high country) Just moved to Elizabeth (kind of near Castle Rock and Parker). Sorry, a little off topic, but I have such a passion for finally being able to do this!!

The thing with small coops is behavior problems can arise. Feather picking and needless bullying are what can occur with cramped coops. The other problem is a few years down the road when you want to integrate new hens as some died or it's just time to turn over a few to pullet layers it can be very hard with injuries to new pullets until they are finally integrated which will also take longer than with a larger coop.

I've gotten away with only 2.5 sqft per bird but I never cooped them excepting at night when they roost and also have management techniques for new introductions. It can be done but especially with a large run but you'd be better off thinking 3 sqft per bird in coop. Mounting exterior access nesting boxes (hens can enter from inside coop) aids in gaining space. You should be thinking 10 birds max and with that two boxes (one big one with divider) is all you'll need. I'd make a sloped sided box abut 30" long 12" sloping to 9" tall and 13" inches deep then put a divider in middle. You cut 9" square access from coop and mount it on outside.

I think I seriously need "Chickens Anonymous"! Alright, at least I got your excellent help while there is still time to build on more space! What do you think about adding a second pre-built shed right next to the original without access in between, just to the open runs. They'll need to be inside at night because of our predators.

Last edited:
They're still just chicks now so you've quite a bit of time. Sad to say but there will likely be a few deaths from predators. They won't be cramped until near full size so you've a good 12 weeks to see how many make it to size. If not down to 10 or under you can sell a few as others around you will have had losses and wanting two pullets to add to flock. Don't sell single birds, they'll fair better in new flocks if two or more are making the transition.

I don't believe two coops would work well. They'll want to coop together even if cramped. There are exceptions but it seems much labor for a chance of them splitting up at night to roost. I'd stick with exterior mounted nesting box to gain space and see how many are left when they start getting to size, sell a few to keep 10 or less.

Near 14 week old pullets will fetch up to $15 each. Around here 12.50 is more like the price but come that time you'll be wanting to downsize and get some cash for feed. They'll be eating near 1/4 lb each per day at that age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom