Cobb County Georgia chicken variance attempt

WOW!!!! Hearing that gives me hope here in Dekalb County, luckily I did not have to go through that pain. We are just waiting for the zoning problems the county is having don't know or understand what chickens has to do with the drawing district lines but Tuesday the 10th is the Board of Commissioners Meeting and last meeting they claim that this meeting they will make a decision on if we can have chickens or not. GOOD LUCK to you my friend hope and pray you will be able to keep your chickens....

Thanks. No chickens here yet but I'm hoping for a Orpington a red star and a speckled Sussex. Less than 10 days till I find out if chickens are in my future. I hope so because it has not been cheap.

So-did you get approved? I am re-applying soon. I did so last year and Murray denied me based on anonymous complains that were not even true. I appealed and Cobb Co. did everything they could to deny that as well even as far as the Judge refusing to sign the order to file the appeal-and when I pointed this out to his case manager that without his signature my appeal would not be file properly and therefore rejected- she said "I know. He just did not want to be responsible." !!!!!!!!!!!! Murray also used a part of the variance process no longer used-and even did so after it was pointed out that that was no longer necessary. He also showed up at my house unannounced and freaked out my roommate. It was all kinds of craziness-for three hens! AND my neighbor has a rooster that crows at 3AM!
Jen

I did get approved took 10 hours total sitting through an entire BOC meeting to make it happen and having to take a vacation day from work. I am not sure what issues you ran into but if you are trying to work against the boards instead of with them you will never get chickens. It was relatively (loosely said) easy for us to get chickens though. We have no complaints against us. We own our home. We have one of the best kept homes in the neighborhood and we worked diligently with the board to make it all happen. It's called politics. Considering the amount of government red tape you have to go through at this point that's exactly what it's going to take to get some hens. This is not cheap and it will cost you more than the cost of organic eggs at the store if you do it right in Cobb county. This is about more than cheap eggs for us.

Hi.
I didn't see an update on how the meeting with the BOC went. Did you get final approval?

I'm extremely interested in your experiences. I recently just became a chicken owner for the first time and just bought a house in Cobb County. I very naively checked local chicken ordinances before purchasing chickens but seemed to have missed the part of only being allowed so many on 2 acres of property or less and then the ordeal of having to get approval from the county. I think I just got so excited that we didnt have an HOA and that chickens weren't restricted - so I went through with purchasing 2 (surprise - 4...). They are almost old enough to go outside, just finishing the final touches on their coop. Their coop is going to be under our elevated deck in the backyard, and we have lots of tree cover, so I think they will be well hidden. I've already have a composter I'm using for their poop, so that's all taken care of.

Anyways, I'm just very interested to see what the process is for getting approval from Cobb County to have chickens is. Seems really silly to go through all this trouble to pick and choose who can have chickens and who cannot...

In Cobb county also. What if you live on and maintain 2 separate lots which total over 2 acres with only one house, but were never remapped/zoned into one lot? Plus, we have another third to half acre that has been maintained by us and the previous occupant for probably 30-50 years or more. Apparently, those are the perils of living in an old farm house whose land was sold off around the 1970s.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom