Cocci cleaning and disinfecting

Whikany

Hatching
May 1, 2018
Hi all,

New to the forum, but we've been raising chickens for about 2 years. I have been unlucky enough to have my first run in with cocci. Guess it was a good run while it lasted. We're treating with corid. Showing typical symptoms lethargic, ruffled, stay near heat source and bloody poo. I have zero pics to show you since I cleaned the coop after treating all the water.

Here's my situation. I have 14- 6 day old chicks purchased from a hatchery, unvaccinated, in my "brooder" (dog kennel) elevated on plywood and saw horses. Next to them I have my bantam adults in another dog kennel until their mini coop/run is finished(another story, impulse buy on my husbands part...). Running in my coop and my run I have 31- 8 week old chicks (couldn't contain them anymore), 7- 10 week old chicks and 2- 10 week old ducklings (they refuse to leave the chicks they were raised with), an adult turkey hen (she hides eggs so we keep her in the coop/run) and my adult free ranging chickens (probably 22 total) come and go as they please. They lay an egg and go back out to free range until bedtime. My adult ducks come in only at night.

Now that's everyone's situation... my main question... how do I clean/disinfect my coop and how often?

I cleaned my coop as needed (no longer than 2 weeks) before cocci struck. I first add a layer of sweet pdz and DE (with no one in the coop but me), then I add a 4"-6" layer of bedding on the coop floor. I cleaned my "brooders" as needed (no longer than a week for chicks). My run is just dry bare earth. I don't really clean much out there.

My human instinct is to bleach everything down every day, but logic steps in and tells me that may be a bit extreme, but I don't know... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Coccidia are difficult to get rid of and are resistant to most disinfectants. Most commonly it affects young birds, and usually once the birds are exposed they become resistant to that strain and won't become sick again from that strain unless they are weakened by another illness or condition. There are several strains that affect chickens, and only a couple of them will present with blood in the droppings, so recognizing the symptoms is important. Coccidia are in the environment, in the soil, everywhere. Bringing in new birds can bring in new strains with them, also moving to new ground can expose them to new strains. Basically, keeping droppings from building up in the house and run, keeping things reasonable clean and dry are all you can do. I use the deep litter method in my run and it has not been an issue as it stays pretty dry. If it does get wet I turn it until dry or replace it with dry material. Wet conditions seem to cause a coccidia bloom, as many refer to, and coccidia numbers increase to the point that the birds can ingest a large enough number to make them sick. That's probably why warm, wet brooders are prime for an outbreak. One way to help brooder raised chicks build resistance is to give them some dirt from your yard in your brooder to scratch around in and dust bathe in every day. I do this with every brooder batch I raise. Any broody hen raised chicks are going to be exposed naturally. And I always keep Corid on hand in my 1st aid kit so I have it in case I need it and can start treatment right away. It's been a couple of years since I've had to treat for it, but I'm always prepared especially if I have chicks growing. I spray and wipe surfaces with straight vinegar and that's pretty much all I use in my coop as it leaves no fumes or residue that could do harm. There are loads of articles out there on coccidia that you can search for and read. Hope that helps some.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying. I've been trying to do my homework and research on this subject.
I'll try the dirt tip with my chicks. It was only my hatchery bought chicks who showed symptoms first, but now my mutts are showing bloody droppings in the coop/run. Hopefully I can beat this and not lose too many.

I also agree with exposing baby chicks to dirt, with a piece of sod in their brooder to get earlier exposure and to help them build up immunity. You cannot sterilize your coop and run. It is best to keep bedding dry, clean, and stirred often. Add fresh bedding when needed. Many people give a preventative low dose treatment of Corid to any young chicks around 3-4 weeks old, after they have experienced an outbreak in an earlier bunch of chicks.

Just an fyi...Cocci and Coccidiosis are two different things.

Virkon S will do everything that's needed to be done for a fresh start. Keep their area clean and dry
I took a look at Virkon S on their website and it appears that the product kills just about every bacterial, viral, and fungal disease that poultry can get. However I didnt see coccidia mentioned out of all those diseases, maybe because it's protozoa, or perhaps I overlooked something.

I took a look at Virkon S on their website and it appears that the product kills just about every bacterial, viral, and fungal disease that poultry can get. However I didnt see coccidia mentioned out of all those diseases, maybe because it's protozoa, or perhaps I overlooked something.
original poster asked for a good way to disinfect. Virkon S is excellent for that. I also advised clean and dry living conditions which would keep build up of cocci down. Good husbandry is all that's needed to keep cocci at bay.

20180501_190131.png

original poster asked for a good way to disinfect. Virkon S is excellent for that. I also advised clean and dry living conditions which would keep build up of cocci down. Good husbandry is all that's needed to keep cocci at bay.

View attachment 1370047
FYI: Oxine does the same thing and is much cheaper. And I agree with you, keeping everything dry and clean is best.

Back
Top Bottom