Cocci, Corid and the flock

MJ12728

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
Little Orleans, MD
I noticed one of my older RIR hens hunched up and puffed out yesterday. Just standing in the run while everyone else ran around. Separated her out and tried giving her some scrambled egg with oatmeal (she ate a little bit) as well as water with oxytetracycline. I don't think she drank any of the water. This morning still alive but VERT weak. Just tried tubing her some of the mediated water with a little honey, but I'm afraid she's so weak I'm doubting she'll make it. After reading everything here I'm thinking Cocci. Sooooo, everyone else seems fine but should I get some Corid and treat the flock as a precaution? I have 28 chicks in two brooders. Should I treat them (3 weeks and 6 weeks)? We have finally started getting a decent amount of eggs a day after a cold winter, are the eggs safe with Corid treatment? Any help is appreciated.

How does her crop feel? Has she lost weight in her breast area, or does she have any swelling or fullness in her lower abdomen? Has she been wormed? Cocci is usually not a problem in older hens unless they are immune deficient, but you could have a vet do a fecal float for worms and cocci, or go ahead and treat her. I would keep an eye on the chicks for any puffing up or lethargy.

She died this morning. When I picked her up the first time I noticed her feeling bad I immediately felt how under weight she was. She was a former production bird so never would allow handling before. Her crop was basically empty, I didn't notice any kind of swelling. She just seemed to go down hill really fast. I'm worried about the rest of the flock. I bought some Corid today but holding off treatment for now until I learn more.

You can refrigerate the body and send it to your state vet for a necropsy. Oviduct cancer, internal laying, and egg yolk peritonitis are very common in hens 2 years and older. I am sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom