Cocci & egg laying. Separate subjects.

Mariakoltsa

Songster
Feb 5, 2019
Australia, QLD
Heyy!!!

I have been treating my chooks for cocci with Vetafarm Coccivet, simply because the pet shops had NOTHING else for cocci. They had two things and both said “not to be used in food producing birds” on them. How annoying.

Im here to find out WHY? And what happens if i do. Because i am...

Heres what im using :
BA27A279-3A4B-4898-9466-B05ECA323CED.jpeg
8191900D-DB7E-4323-B477-AEF0FC77CC7E.jpeg

If that means i cant eat their eggs EVER? Its fine... hope nothing more serious from that...

Another thing.
I have got this old chook ive found in woods.. she definitely has some kind of a reproductive issue...since ive had her since beginning if january and she has only laid about 4 soft shelled or no shell eggs with month or more between each.
... late last night and this morning/or also last night she had laid an egg with an extremely soft shell which had broken and seems like theres another one.. half egg no yolk... not really sure what that is .. away from that.. .., sooo it seems she farted out two?!?!?
She looks in good health and i just gave them liquid calcium in their water three days ago..
im just wondering what and how n why. Would anything happen from it if she keeps on doing it ?
3F3A105A-5C7F-475C-949D-5E469F69D068.jpeg
62EC9A5C-1EBD-4031-9E62-C329B593EC6A.jpeg

The bottom pic is weird because it seems to have come out with poo...
But i dont think it could be pus because it had a layer/soft skin around the gooey part...

Also since i ws suggested to treat for cocci cuz some chook is pooing lot of fiarrhea and bloody water...
How much blood is normal for cocci and could i be too late treating..? What if the chook whos laying them weird eggs is pooing the blood? Could it be connected and not be cocci after all ?

Oh wait.., just looked at the second egg poo... and the watery bit around it is actually red... so it is the old chook whos laying that... and poopimg bloody water..
A88C9CDB-8356-472D-A721-71A3624B1B92.jpeg

Im worried, she was on antibiotics a month or more ago because she had sour crop and some unidentified infection... treated successfully and she is back to normal...

Please help!

Attachments

• B3A0D794-039A-4773-A06D-088480FCE780.jpeg
    B3A0D794-039A-4773-A06D-088480FCE780.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 1
Amprolium is a thiamine blocker and has no withdrawal period for egg consumption.
Ethopabate is a coccidiostat added in chick feed to prevent cocci infections like amprolium.
It is safe as well, here's a link:
http://www.sgmrpharma.com/ethopabate/

As far as the old hen goes, treat her with the Vetafarm, then worm her. Capillary worms can cause blood in feces. However I suspect there are other internal laying issues going on beyond your control.
You can try giving her some salmon which is high in vitamin D which helps in the absorption of calcium, in order to produce hard egg shells. Dont expect it to happen overnight though.

Last edited:
Amprolium is a thiamine blocker and has no withdrawal period for egg consumption.
Ethopabate is a coccidiostat added in chick feed to prevent cocci infections like amprolium.
It is safe as well, here's a link:
http://www.sgmrpharma.com/ethopabate/

As far as the old hen goes, treat her with the Vetafarm, then worm her. Capillary worms can cause blood in feces. However I suspect there are other internal laying issues going on beyond your control.
You can try giving her some salmon which is high in vitamin D which helps in the absorption of calcium, in order to produce hard egg shells. Dont expect it to happen overnight though.

Thanks so much!
I actually did worm them all twice. Last one was couple days ago ..

It's blood mixed in the feces. I recommend giving her the Vetafarm directly, orally. Use a syringe with needle and dose her 1ml orally twice a day for 5 days. If that doesnt clear it up, I highly recommend treating the hen with a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ/TMP.
What wormer did you use?

It's blood mixed in the feces. I recommend giving her the Vetafarm directly, orally. Use a syringe with needle and dose her 1ml orally twice a day for 5 days. If that doesnt clear it up, I highly recommend treating the hen with a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ/TMP.
What wormer did you use?

I used ivomec and wormout gel

Damn ...

Back
Top Bottom