Cocci In Quail? Something Else?

TeePants

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
In spite of doing a full bedding change every day, and taking the quail out of the brooder & hosing the whole thing down every 2-3 days, I think I’ve got a case of coccidiosis in my two week old quail.

One of them is droopy winged, lethargic, won’t eat (empty crop) & barely drank. I moved him to a hospital pen. I’m not 100% sure it’s cocci - I haven’t seen any bloody stools at all.

I checked his/her vent and it’s got poo (not bloody) around it. This was one of the smallest of the hatch, the other being Wrong End, who also has poop around his vent. I put a couple quail in the hospital pen with him but I’m worried about exposing his buddies (Wrong End and the one who has a hurt toe) to whatever is going on with him.

Not sure what to do. Not even entirely sure it’s cocci? In addition to the bedding changes I check and change their feeders/waterers multiple times a day.

At the moment I have Sick Quail, Hurt Toe and Wrong End in a separate brooder with fresh bedding & water with Sav-A-Chick. I saw the sick one drink some of the save a chick & I dripped some water on his beak. I also lowered the heat lamp on their pen because his toes were frigid.

Pretty sure I’m writing Sick off as a loss, but I don’t want to lose any more. I’m going back down now to do a full bedding change (I did one this AM as well), and hose down their pen, although I don’t know how I’m gonna do it as the hospital pen is normally where I stick them when I’m hosing the brooder out!

Their outdoor pen is very nearly finished, but the weather promised rain and below 60 temps this week.

What is going on with this guy? Is it cocci or something else? Thanks for any help.

Update; Sick is eating and drinking now. I think the sav a chick gave him a boost. Maybe he just couldn't get to his food because the other ones are twice his size? Hurt Toe and Wrong End are all similarly small. I'm going to clean the big brooder just in case, but I am hoping this was more of an issue of not being able to access the food/water.

Edit; I should add, we have NO other poultry, and these guys have NEVER been outside. Not sure where they could even pick up cocci.

My littlest celadon quail chick seemed totally normal and then all the sudden just wasn’t...and slowly got less and less active and then one morning had died. :-( They had electrolyte water, food and the other chicks were fine and still are. I’m guessing it was something internal and his body just quit working :-( I was so very sad cuz he was the sweetest and loved to be held. I hope all yours needed was a boost, it sounds like it helped but I’d keep an eye on it. As long as you don’t see signs of issues with any other baby it’s likely a developmental thing for just that little dude ❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom