Cocci, worms, sour crop, or something else…?

Chickychickers

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2022
Cocci, worms, sour crop, something else?

I pulled her inside on Friday because she wasn’t eating and laying in the coop, crop felt full/squishy.

Saturday am crop was still full of what feels like crumble/scratch grain/mush. I gave Corid via syringe due to mucus in her poop and Miconazole (am & pm) if it’s sour crop. She won’t drink any water, so I’m syringing water periodically.

Sunday am crop was nearly empty. Gave 2nd dose of Corid, Miconazole (am & pm). Poop looked better, she had a Cecal poop, less mucus. Still refusing water, I’m syringing water.

Monday am crop empty, lots of mucus in her poop. I gave 3rd dose of Corid. Still won’t drink. I gave her a hard boiled egg and she isn’t interested…

My next thought is Safeguard wormer, or, antibiotic?

Or, could she be really impacted, food is still moving through as her poop changed from green to brown. I wonder if she ate too much dirt? I recently put fresh dirt (from my garden) on their run floor. They aren’t free ranging, so it’s not grass.

The only mention of mucus poop I can find is cocci, I don’t know 🤷‍♀️
7AD7205A-B1DA-43CD-9FFE-33C5734F786E.jpeg
C8470A24-A1A7-4EFF-A5CF-B313D8A96A7B.jpeg
0F5A9A7D-72E3-411F-86B7-27F6E45B63A9.jpeg

Do you have a vet you use for other pets? Gather a fresh sample of this hen's poop and place it in a fresh clean baggie. Then take it to your vet and ask them to run a fecal float test on it for coccidia and worms. The test takes less than an hour and the cost is nominal. The results will be conclusive and eliminate all guess work. If the test is negative for parasites, you can have your vet send it to a lab for a gram stain test for bacteria. If that comes back positive, you will know that your hen has a bacterial infection that needs to be treated. It will indicate what antibiotic is the most effective and your vet can help you obtain it.

Do you have a vet you use for other pets? Gather a fresh sample of this hen's poop and place it in a fresh clean baggie. Then take it to your vet and ask them to run a fecal float test on it for coccidia and worms. The test takes less than an hour and the cost is nominal. The results will be conclusive and eliminate all guess work. If the test is negative for parasites, you can have your vet send it to a lab for a gram stain test for bacteria. If that comes back positive, you will know that your hen has a bacterial infection that needs to be treated. It will indicate what antibiotic is the most effective and your vet can help you obtain it.
I called our vet and they have to see the animal to do the fecal. They are booked out pretty far. I bought Safeguard and am going to start her on that today.

I don’t know what else to do…

You can call your vet back and don't take "no" for an answer. State that you will assume all responsibility for the treatment. If you still are stonewalled, call another vet or two. Most are willing to listen to reason when it's "just" a chicken.

If you find one that will be reasonable, switch your pets to the new vet, and don't be shy about the reason. Tyranny from a business is not acceptable. You are in control of treating your flock, not the business.

You might get the impression I'm sick and tired, mad as he!! and not gonna take it any more. But, it's your decision to accept this state of affairs. Or not.

Back
Top Bottom