cocci?

dandrews1971

Songster
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
Claremore, Oklahoma USA
So we have 2 little 11 week old Ameracauna babies. They are in a seperate pen now with the 4.5 month old Ameracauna pullet as well. They are seperated at this point only by the pen. the other hens free range during the dayall around them.
They have been perfectly fine til the last day or 2. I noticed last night that they had lost some weight. They dont move around quite as much as before either. My daughter cleaned some mucus from ones nose. :(
That one seems a bit 'puffy'.
IM thinking cocci? prior to being in this pen (about a week and a half now) they were quarantined in a cage off the ground, so had no ground access. We had cocci before in our older girls, but it was very mild. However, they were a good bit older & bigger than these babies.
I put the corid in their water this morning. How long do I give it? anything else I should give them? antibiotic for the nasal discharge?

Last edited:
Are you treating them for preventative purposes, or because they have coccidia? When you say puffy, do you mean that they are sitting puffed up or is there something puffy about their face? If they are lethargic, puffed up, have ruffled feathers, and have diarrhea (sometimes bloody) I would treat with Corid liquid 2 tsp (or powder 1 tsp) per gallon for 5-7 days. For preventative dosing, you can use half-strength. Watch them for other symptoms such as swelling of the face or eyes, bubbles in eyes, sneeze or cough, or wheezing /gurgling breathing. Duramycin10 or Terramycin in the water would be good to start with if you feel they need an antibiotic. Tylan50 injection or powder for the water is better if they are having more symptoms.

Corid Dosing info
FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

The 006% for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The 006% for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

More info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

I think they have it....Theyve ben on the actual ground less than 2 weks. By puffy, feathers all puffed up around her, looking bigger than she is. I cant be certain of the diarrhea. Ive only noticed it late last night & the pen they are in is on the grass so its a bit hard to tell. She does have a dirty bottom though. The other baby her same age is a bit lighter but doesnt so fr have all these symptoms. Likely a matter of time....
& the older one seems relatively unscathed so far.

I would go ahead and give them a 5-7 day course of Corid, making that their only water source. Nothing else in the water. After treatment they will need some vitamins and probiotics in their water. Most feedstores sell packets of those combined or separate. Also if you do any antibiotics later, they will need the probiotic mix, too, to replace their gut bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom