Coccidiasis questions

FoodKillah

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Mediterranean Sea
Hello fellow chicken lovers i have some questions about coccidiasis because i suspect my hens live around it unprotected, i lost one 7 days ago and right now i have another sick hen.

My experience with chicken diseases is limited and i am trying to understand if:

1) if i give coccidiasis medication to the rest of my flock to keep them healthy, does that mean they will never get infected, or do i have to give them again after some months?

2) If a chicken is not eating, feeling sleepy and finally cannot stand to its feet because of loss of power and weigth and has yellow liquid poop, but with no other signs of disease, chances are its coccidiasis?

Please try to answer those questions, i want to help that dying hen and most of all i want to help my flock, i have no trustworthy people with chickens that i could ask and learn anything at all. The only pet shop was out of meds and gave me an EXPIRED(6months) coccidiasis medicine for free that i DID gave to the dying hen because i wanted to skip the "cull option". They will bring not-expired medicine next week but its very expensive.

Do you people give coccidiasis medication to your flock to prevent the disease?

The only reason i believe its coccidiasis is videos i have seen, i am lost here. Is there a list with drugs that the flock needs to take as precaution?

Hello fellow chicken lovers i have some questions about coccidiasis because i suspect my hens live around it unprotected, i lost one 7 days ago and right now i have another sick hen.

My experience with chicken diseases is limited and i am trying to understand if:

1) if i give coccidiasis medication to the rest of my flock to keep them healthy, does that mean they will never get infected, or do i have to give them again after some months?

2) If a chicken is not eating, feeling sleepy and finally cannot stand to its feet because of loss of power and weigth and has yellow liquid poop, but with no other signs of disease, chances are its coccidiasis?

Please try to answer those questions, i want to help that dying hen and most of all i want to help my flock, i have no trustworthy people with chickens that i could ask and learn anything at all. The only pet shop was out of meds and gave me an EXPIRED(6months) coccidiasis medicine for free that i DID gave to the dying hen because i wanted to skip the "cull option". They will bring not-expired medicine next week but its very expensive.

Do you people give coccidiasis medication to your flock to prevent the disease?

The only reason i believe its coccidiasis is videos i have seen, i am lost here. Is there a list with drugs that the flock needs to take as precaution?
How old are your birds? Cocci typically infects chicks not hens.. Older birds 16 weeks and above have typically built an immune system against cocci. Unfortunately cocci is everyhwere in the ground outside. You can putnchicks on medicated feed from the beginning to help strengthen their immunity The first signs are bloody stools..and by bloody I dont mean tinged stools...bright ree blood as if one ofnthem was cut....I didnt see you mention that at all? You can give a coccidiostat to all of them and it may help but Im afraid your looking at something else if they are older birds Like Mareks...or even botulism...youll have to try the search engine here...look under symptoms that fits your birds and I think you should be able to narrow it downa bit more..look under the disease section....corrid or sulmet are coccidiostats you can use if thats what it truly is ;( Im sorry...

Thanks, my birds are adults, so i was wrong about cocci. That hen died fast and did not suffer, the expired antibiotics worked. black humor.. i hope i will find out what it was before another bird gets infected.

I will follow your advice, thank you

Thanks, my birds are adults, so i was wrong about cocci. That hen died fast and did not suffer, the expired antibiotics worked. black humor.. i hope i will find out what it was before another bird gets infected.

I will follow your advice, thank you
Im sorry :(

Back
Top Bottom