Coccidios Not Responding to Corid or Sulmet

The "other advices" they list here, although I'm sure to be sound, isn't so easy to follow after watchin' these birds struggle through ...
Sifting through the ninety-some posts yeilded that etymology report, which seems to confirm those strongest suspicions we were both havin' way back when (sorry for not responding throughout, but I'd been quickly checkin' in when I could).
The findings raise a few questions, from what I've seen ...
From what I have found, and despite what it suggests, the results themselves are consistent with what results when parasites continue to feed on what your chicken was meant to. The chemicals could have hindered development as well (i.e. blocking thiamine uptake to starve the coccidia may well result in a deficiency of B1 in the chicken, which is why my keets are gettin' the same supplimental feed that showbirds normally get). Also, there is one particular strain that the nodules appear from, but it's most often common to geese ... could it be that they've ruled out the actual one(s) that led to these later symptoms, just because it's not "as likely" as those commonly found w/in chickens?
As to the vet previously claiming that the bird(s) submitted "...had never been exposed [to Merek's]," having the bird die of other symptoms/causes is no guarantee that it was not a carrier of it -- wouldn't that be no different than if I claimed to have not been exposed to the most recent strain(s) of the flu, just because I didn't notice havin' any of the usual symptoms?
Again, I'm gonna say: You have done everything I coulda thought of, and far more than most woulda done. Even in hind-sight, it remains clear to me that this IS NOT your fault.
I noticed elsewhere you showed your respect for our elders, as you wondered why they often painted the walls and floors of hen houses -- that's where that ol' 1915 book comes in handy, although many of the things they did back then aren't even legal now (due to the chemicals involved). On Page 204 of External Parasites, Diseases of Poultry, they suggest the first spray used is a repeated coatings containing kerosene or cresol, then "... the roosting boards, nests, floors and walls to a height of about 5 feet are thoroughly sprayed with the lice paint (kerosene oil and crude carbolic acid)."

After that, you might well be wonderin' how it is that I can find such an obsure little-known/unimportant detail as this, but can't seem to provide you with any real answers, for which I apologize. But, yours is likely one of those more isolated cases, where the infection(s) are aggrevated by the treatment(s), due to the common cure not affecting the true cause <-- sorta reminds me of the upcoming Presidential Election.
thank-you for everything you did. It wasn't necessary to check in all the time. A lot of this was musings on my part to see if someone could 'see' what might have happened here. Now you have raised another. My ducks and geese had to go into a pen in the back of the chicken house while we got their house fixed for them. As they got bigger, they were given the pen and free run of the hallway as well. The other new this year birds were in the back pens as well. You know, this has always nagged at me. No specific reason...just a nagging little thing at the back of my mind. but, I had read that the waterfowl wouldn't be a problem because their body temps. were so much higher that most oppurtunistic parasites and diseases wouldn't live in them.

At this point in the venture, it's kind of a moot point. The birds are gone. If I had been able to have contact with the state lab in June, instead of getting false info, maybe this would have had a different ending. Then again, maybe it would have been just as baffling.

As for the obscure info, I think most times there are more 'pearls of wisdom' to be found there than in most of what we have now. The ones before us didn't rely on computers. They used their own experiences and observations to develope ways to stop disease and infestation. In today's society, their methods seemed crude. We have drugs and artificial chemicals that do the job. Really? And that's working out for you, how? It brings to mind the bee farmers not using tobacco smoke to calm their bees. Since most have stopped this practise, the disease of these bees has increased to the point of almost extinction. Yet in the UK, the farmers still using tobacco are not seeing these issues. So much has been lost with our incessant search for the new.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with your your flock :) I'm also sorry I am replying without reading the entire thread (I read the 1st 4 pages and the last 2) and if this was already mentioned, but it sounds as if there could be a vitamin deficiency. Since you were giving your chicks Purina and Dumor feeds, you might want to take a look at this recall from a few months ago.

http://www.purinamills.com/news/recall-information.aspx

A vitamin D deficiency can cause some of the symptoms you described:

Retarded growth and severe leg weakness are the first signs noted when chicks are deficient in vitamin D3. Beaks and claws become soft and pliable. Chicks may have trouble walking and will take a few steps before squatting on their hocks. While resting, they often sway from side to side, suggesting loss of equilibrium. Feathering is usually poor, and an abnormal banding of feathers may be seen in colored breeds."

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

This article has a photo in it, that shows chicks unable to walk (2nd photo)

http://www.wattagnet.com/Poultry_International/4176.html

It sounds as if there may be more than 1 thing going on ---I'm wondering if your chickens were experiencing a vitamin deficiency, and that deficiency made them more susceptible to other illness.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with your your flock
smile.png
I'm also sorry I am replying without reading the entire thread (I read the 1st 4 pages and the last 2) and if this was already mentioned, but it sounds as if there could be a vitamin deficiency. Since you were giving your chicks Purina and Dumor feeds, you might want to take a look at this recall from a few months ago.
http://www.purinamills.com/news/recall-information.aspx
A vitamin D deficiency can cause some of the symptoms you described:
Retarded growth and severe leg weakness are the first signs noted when chicks are deficient in vitamin D3. Beaks and claws become soft and pliable. Chicks may have trouble walking and will take a few steps before squatting on their hocks. While resting, they often sway from side to side, suggesting loss of equilibrium. Feathering is usually poor, and an abnormal banding of feathers may be seen in colored breeds."
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
This article has a photo in it, that shows chicks unable to walk (2nd photo)
http://www.wattagnet.com/Poultry_International/4176.html
It sounds as if there may be more than 1 thing going on ---I'm wondering if your chickens were experiencing a vitamin deficiency, and that deficiency made them more susceptible to other illness.
Thank-you for your response. This was covered in probably one you didn't get to. I gave these birds vitamins, hand fed most of them because they couldn't get to the feed themselves. Soaked bread in the vitamin solution so I knew they'd get it all. They didn't respond and in fact continued to show more paralysis. I truely wish it had been that simple.

thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Back
Top Bottom