Coccidiosis and ground treatment

Onodacops

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2023
Year 3 for my chickens. Up until 6 months ago, zero health issues. Lost 1 to Coccidiosis and now every 4 weeks or so, somebody gets it again. Unfortunately, I have become an expert on this. This morning, a hen wasn't running with the others to get their treats. I checked her butt and saw the runny yellow feces. I walk the run 2x daily and scoop poop, never let straw mildew and keep the coop clean. Corid in the water works as long as you catch it quick. Once chickens show symptoms, they are already very ill. I have read numerous articles, that provide some good info as well as some conflicting info. The ground in the covered and uncovered run has been bare dirt for quite awhile and the parasite load or count is probably pretty high. Is anybody aware of a treatment for the ground in the runs. Also, I have had good luck with Hydro Hen as a probiotic in their water as a preventative.

Thanks,

Ono

It's not very often that 3 year old chickens get coccidiosis. Have you taken fecal samples to a vet for a look under a microscope? If the slide is loaded with oocysts, then yes, there is a problem and treatment is needed. If the slide only has a few oocysts, then that is normal.

When was the last time you wormed your birds? Yellow runny feces can be indicative of worms.

Coccidia are everywhere in the environment. As far as the soil is concerned, keeping everything as dry as possible is key with chicken keeping. I recommend sand in the pens. Sand dries quickly after it rains and doesnt wash away like dirt and doesnt create nasty mudpuddles that chickens love to drink from. Sand also deters insects and parasites.
My pens and coops contain sand, some nest boxes as well. It's easier to scoop poop with sand and disposing of it is easy as well.
Think beach.

Thanks for replying. The vet confirmed it was coccidiosis with a decal sample I brought in. I lost that hen a few days later. This happened 2 months ago. They have not been dewormed with meds from the vet. I have added apple cider vinegar to their water the 2 times I saw worms in their stool. Funny you mentioned sand. I filled their dust bath holes with sand over this past weekend. I will certainly look to have sand delivered to the house for the runs. We are looking at rain for the next 4 days here, so it’s going to be a mess.

I can't attest directly to straw and coccidiosis, but I know in general it isn't the best medium for coop or run bedding. It will be the dirtiest of the bunch - usually the last thing harvested and doesn't have any purification or cleaning requirements.

Thanks for replying. The vet confirmed it was coccidiosis with a decal sample I brought in. I lost that hen a few days later. This happened 2 months ago. They have not been dewormed with meds from the vet. I have added apple cider vinegar to their water the 2 times I saw worms in their stool. Funny you mentioned sand. I filled their dust bath holes with sand over this past weekend. I will certainly look to have sand delivered to the house for the runs. We are looking at rain for the next 4 days here, so it’s going to be a mess.

Just for your info; apple cider vinegar wont prevent nor treat worms. Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen will take of worms pronto.

I can't attest directly to straw and coccidiosis, but I know in general it isn't the best medium for coop or run bedding. It will be the dirtiest of the bunch - usually the last thing harvested and doesn't have any purification or cleaning requirements.
For the coop I use pine shavings from Tractor Supply. The covered run attached to the coop has the straw from Tractor Supply as well.

Bright green feces last night. This was part of it. Tore it open, sand and dirt inside.
70917421648__C3DAF143-B1AD-42BB-BD7A-C306CE82DB70.jpeg

As long as it’s not some alien life form I can help fix the food intake. She had scrambled eggs this morning. Shhhhh, just don’t tell her where the eggs came from :)

Back
Top Bottom