Coccidiosis and Sick Babies

FxbgChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Fredericksburg, Va
I have been reading just about ALL the threads since Sunday morning when we found our 14 week old chicks with lots of bloody stools. Of course, I have been freaking out.
Looks like upon our slow intros during the day to the rest of the flock, the chicks got coccidia.
hit.gif

Locally I could only find sulfadimethoxine locally on the weekend at TSC. We started them on it in the morning (Sunday) and the husband thinks there is improvement, I am not so sure. I just called the now-open local feed store and they have Sulmet but not Corid, which looks to just be a brand name of what we already have.

Some of the chicks (the australorps) are still drinking. The Americaunas seem the most lethargic, one will not drink at all. Last night the husband dropper fed each a few cc of the medicated water, I did the same this morning with all those who were not drinking.

I know I am a worry wart and I have read lots of recovery posts for coccidia, but what do time frames look like? Like when should I REALLY worry? We first saw the bloody stools late late saturday evening. Started treatment Sunday morning.

The only thing in all of our TSC for coccidia treatment was one we picked up. I just checked with the feed store a bit farther from us though and they have Corid, so I am going to send the husband to pick it up in a bit.

But if all they have is the powder, get it. Hope I didn't confuse you. :D

Powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days.
Liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days.

Ignore dosing directions on Corid package, they're for cattle, and cattle get less.

-Kathy

The other feed store has the liquid, they already put it aside for me. The husband will pick it up in a few hours. Hoping we get these little girls out of this Tilly the Americauna is not looking good :(

The other feed store has the liquid, they already put it aside for me. The husband will pick it up in a few hours. Hoping we get these little girls out of this Tilly the Americauna is not looking good :(
Keep them warm, and you could try giving some Corid orally to the ones not drinking. The dose I give is 0.02ml per 100 grams, which is about one small drop per 100 grams of body weight.

-Kathy

Edited:
Give undiluted once and encourage them to drink the medicated water.

Last edited:
Note that in my previous post I mean to give it undiluted once and try to get them drinking the medicated water.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom