Coccidiosis? Blocked Vent?

ChickieMama1988

Chirping
Jun 26, 2021
Hello,

I have an 10 month old Lavendar Orpington. She has never laid an egg. 2 days ago we noticed she having trouble pooping. She was lethargic and separating herself from the small flock. She was also crying out when she tried to have a bowl movement. The poop started as white runny bubbly to dark raspberry type jelly poop and then back to trickles of white. Each time she cried out in pain. We added Verm-X to her water last night and this morning she had two larger chunky dark-red bloody poops. Both sounded quite painful for her to pass but she seemed to be a bit revived after. Walking around, eating drinking etc. We have given her a few salt water baths as well. She’s in our house right now away from the others. Her vent was swollen so I did use Preparation-H and the outer swelling has gone down a bit There is however a red hard piece when I open the vent. The poop that I watch come out, came out the left side of the vent, like it was having trouble passing around. I was able to gently feel inside and that hard piece feels at least 1/2 an inch long and I’m not sure what that is. I’m also concerned because she hasn’t had a bowl movement now in the last couple of hours. I have felt her under belly and I don’t feel like anything is swollen there, more boney if anything. If there is any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank-you

Attachments

• CA955F8F-20D9-494A-B998-456D02BB6FE3.jpeg
    CA955F8F-20D9-494A-B998-456D02BB6FE3.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 65B47FB5-D5E4-43F7-BBA9-8229171DD160.jpeg
    65B47FB5-D5E4-43F7-BBA9-8229171DD160.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 94131DEB-89EC-4584-90A5-77B72D65FB99.jpeg
    94131DEB-89EC-4584-90A5-77B72D65FB99.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 10
I'm sorry she's not doing well.

Sounds like she may be having a hard time passing some material from the oviduct.
I'd give her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet now, then another in 12hrs, then once daily for a few days.
I'm sorry she's not doing well.

Sounds like she may be having a hard time passing some material from the oviduct.
I'd give her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet now, then another in 12hrs, then once daily for a few days.
Thank-you. I will be giving that a try

If you think there is a hard object blocking her vent, you could try 1cc mineral oil orally, and also inject 1cc mineral oil into the vent with a luer slip syringe.

How does one give these tablets? Crush & mix w/water, then use syringe? I know there are 2 holes in mouth. One’s for eating & other’s for breathing. Which is which? Cannot rely on local farm vets for help.
Our so called avian vets @2 local vet’s offices, decided they no longer see ‘chickens/fowl’. Honestly don’t think they should have been advertising/seeing either, as how they looked “off~guard”, when I took last 2 in. Overheard a vet in bk office, say, “I’ve never dealt w/a chicken before.” Did not realize it was my vet, til hen died. His reply, “Aw’shucks, that’s too bad. That was my first chicken patient.” As though he enjoyed ‘practicing’ on my pet!!! (Both died….misdiagnosis??? wrong meds???)

Hold their beak open with one hand and drop the liquid onto their tongue from the other hand/syringe, a drop at a time. They'll swallow appropriately.

How does one give these tablets? Crush & mix w/water, then use syringe? I know there are 2 holes in mouth. One’s for eating & other’s for breathing. Which is which? Cannot rely on local farm vets for help.
Our so called avian vets @2 local vet’s offices, decided they no longer see ‘chickens/fowl’. Honestly don’t think they should have been advertising/seeing either, as how they looked “off~guard”, when I took last 2 in. Overheard a vet in bk office, say, “I’ve never dealt w/a chicken before.” Did not realize it was my vet, til hen died. His reply, “Aw’shucks, that’s too bad. That was my first chicken patient.” As though he enjoyed ‘practicing’ on my pet!!! (Both died….misdiagnosis??? wrong meds???)
The photos and tutorial linked below, shows how to give oral medication.
For giving a tablet, you can just pull down on the wattles, open the beak and pop the pill in, let the hen swallow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom