Coccidiosis Help!

Hoping an expert can chime in quickly to help you so that you don't lose anymore chicks.  How many do you have left and how old are they?  When we first noticed we had a problem, we replaced all their bedding and cleaned out their waterers and feeders.  We scoop up any stools that we see and have been overly monitoring stools, behavior, and their eating and drinking habits.  After looking through a lot of threads, it does look like coccidiosis can kill chickens with little to no symptoms, but weak chicks and bloody stools can be a dead give away.  We found Corid powder at our local Tractor Supply in the cattle section.  None of the employees knew what it was or where to find it.  We add 1 and a half teaspoons to 1 gallon of water and change daily for 5 to 7 days.  We are keeping them in their coop and not allowing them to free range for the time being so we can ensure the only water they are drinking is medicated.  We treat the whole flock.  We have not lost anymore chicks and they seem to finally be improving and on the way to recovery.  Wishing you the best of luck.

Definitely not an expert, treating mine now with corid. No blood in droppings but wet and foamy. I've been fighting this since I got poults from a hatchery a week ago I'm not blaming the hatchery it was so hot during shipping. Birds seem healthy except for droppings.
I see you use 1 &1/2 teaspoons corid per gallon. Dosage I found was 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Mine are chicks, am I not giving them enough?

Hoping an expert can chime in quickly to help you so that you don't lose anymore chicks.  How many do you have left and how old are they?  When we first noticed we had a problem, we replaced all their bedding and cleaned out their waterers and feeders.  We scoop up any stools that we see and have been overly monitoring stools, behavior, and their eating and drinking habits.  After looking through a lot of threads, it does look like coccidiosis can kill chickens with little to no symptoms, but weak chicks and bloody stools can be a dead give away.  We found Corid powder at our local Tractor Supply in the cattle section.  None of the employees knew what it was or where to find it.  We add 1 and a half teaspoons to 1 gallon of water and change daily for 5 to 7 days.  We are keeping them in their coop and not allowing them to free range for the time being so we can ensure the only water they are drinking is medicated.  We treat the whole flock.  We have not lost anymore chicks and they seem to finally be improving and on the way to recovery.  Wishing you the best of luck.

Definitely not an expert, treating mine now with corid. No blood in droppings but wet and foamy. I've been fighting this since I got poults from a hatchery a week ago I'm not blaming the hatchery it was so hot during shipping. Birds seem healthy except for droppings.
I see you use 1 &1/2 teaspoons corid per gallon. Dosage I found was 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Mine are chicks, am I not giving them enough?

The 1/2 teaspoon dose was based on a post someone did years ago. Trust me, I have weighed the powder and done the math several way... The severe outbreak powder dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

-Kathy

I have 13 left. they are about 2 months old I got them mothers day and they were a few days old then. none dead this morning gonna go to tractor supply when hubby gets home and get meds for them. I changed their bedding but will do it again tomrorrow and clean it really good.they seem to not be eating as much as they were but I figured it was because i switched them to the pellets instead of crumbles i just thought it was filling them up better.. I am still new to this i had adult hens before but now I am starting over with babies since my neighbors dogs killed my entire flock last year Thanks for the help everyone

I have 13 left. they are about 2 months old I got them mothers day and they were a few days old then. none dead this morning gonna go to tractor supply when hubby gets home and get meds for them. I changed their bedding but will do it again tomrorrow and clean it really good.they seem to not be eating as much as they were but I figured it was because i switched them to the pellets instead of crumbles i just thought it was filling them up better.. I am still new to this i had adult hens before but now I am starting over with babies since my neighbors dogs killed my entire flock last year Thanks for the help everyone

At two months they are too young for lay pellets... I would switch back to starter crumbles.

-Kathy

Thank you. She is still sick but hopefully getting better. Her sister is sick too. Not as bad she can still walk. I had them together but the better one kept sitting on Lizziie. So now Abby is laying outside.

Hard to see chick out of basket, look for the white puff.

How our your girls doing today?

Our chicks have been on Corid powder (1 and a half teaspoon per gallon) since Friday night. We have seen huge improvements. They are all eating, drinking, and have more energy. We cleaned out all the stools from the coop this morning and found one stool that had some blood in it. Shouldn't the blood be completely gone at this point?

It should be, but it depends on how much damage was done to the chick's intestines before treatment was started. When treatment is over, some vitamins and probiotics would probably be a good idea. You can always treat the chicks with Corid after a few days of probiotics.

We are going to give the 1 and a half teaspoons of Corid powder per gallon for 7 days, but what do we do afterwards? Do we give it at a smaller dose for a week or two or stop it altogether?

Back
Top Bottom