Coccidiosis Help!

We are going to give the 1 and a half teaspoons of Corid powder per gallon for 7 days, but what do we do afterwards?  Do we give it at a smaller dose for a week or two or stop it altogether?

The mfg and the FDA recommend 1/3 teaspoon for 1-2 weeks after the first 3-7 days.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy. Do we need to be doing anything different from what we are doing since we are still seeing occasional blood in stools? Are we seeing this because there was damage done to the intestines? Will it resolve itself?

Thank you Kathy. Do we need to be doing anything different from what we are doing since we are still seeing occasional blood in stools? Are we seeing this because there was damage done to the intestines? Will it resolve itself?
It should resolve, but if it doesn't, you might want to have a vet look at the poop and/or try a different medication.

-Kathy

We have been treating our 10 and 8 week old chicks and I am proud to report that we haven't had anymore blood in their stools in the last 24 hours and they all seem to be back to their normal activities.

Before we knew they were sick, we ordered more babies and they got delivered in the middle of all of this. They are all acting fine. They are also eating and drinking well. We just found what we think is bloody stool from one of them. Will post pictures. There are eight of them ranging from 1 and a half to 2 and a half weeks old. Can someone please tell us what to do so we don't lose any of them? They are not on any medicated feed and have been drinking plain water. We treated our whole flock, with the exception of them, since they are not around the others. We have been extra diligent with hand hygiene and cleaning. We have Corid powder on hand because we are still in the process of treating our older chicks. Do we treat the babies with the same dose (1 and a half teaspoons of powder per gallon) that we are treating our older ones with?

How our your girls doing today?

Sorry not to update. Between work and chicken care, there is no time for Internet.
They are both still alive but not really better. I took poo samples back to vet yesterday. Coccidia was lower and no bacteria. So that made me feel better.
He told me to increase amount of food when tube feeding. so I did that for the final feed last night.
He said that for as sick as mine are, it could take 14 days are more to get their strength back.

Kathy has been terrific through all of this.
I am waiting for DH to wake up so we can feed.

To the others fighting coccidia---pay close attention to food intake. Birds should eat a minimum of 10% of there body weight. If they aren't and you want to save your babies, then you will need to tube feed. Get the supplies on hand and read up. It's not hard and is the only reason my pair of polish are alive.

Marlene

Started Corid powder in their water at the severe outbreak dosage late last night when we saw another suspicious bloody stool. We haven't seen anymore and they seem to all be doing okay so far.

Sorry not to update. Between work and chicken care, there is no time for Internet.
They are both still alive but not really better. I took poo samples back to vet yesterday. Coccidia was lower and no bacteria. So that made me feel better.
He told me to increase amount of food when tube feeding. so I did that for the final feed last night.
He said that for as sick as mine are, it could take 14 days are more to get their strength back.

Kathy has been terrific through all of this.
I am waiting for DH to wake up so we can feed.

To the others fighting coccidia---pay close attention to food intake. Birds should eat a minimum of 10% of there body weight. If they aren't and you want to save your babies, then you will need to tube feed. Get the supplies on hand and read up. It's not hard and is the only reason my pair of polish are alive.

Marlene

Thank you for the update. I know you have your hands full with all that is going on. So glad to hear your girls and both of you are still hanging in there. Hoping they make a complete recovery soon! I cannot say enough about Kathy. She is truly amazing. I know that we would have lost a lot more than we did without her help. Thank you Kathy!

Back
Top Bottom