Coccidiosis Help!

thanks for the quick reply...I'll get the meds this morning
smile.png

No problem. We had a hard time finding Corid and ended up finding the powder in the cattle section of our local TSC. From what it looks like from other threads, the vaccine is not 100% effective. Someone chime in if this information is not correct. Coccidiosis can kill quickly and I would medicate the entire flock. We used Corid powder. The dose is 1 and a half teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Make fresh daily. After the 5 to 7 days, we medicated with a third of a teaspoon per gallon of water for a week. I have heard the liquid form is better, but we couldn't find that. The dose for the liquid, I think, is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Make fresh daily. Also, do not add any vitamins or electrolytes to the water and make sure the Corid water is the only source of water they are drinking. I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us updated.

No problem.  We had a hard time finding Corid and ended up finding the powder in the cattle section of our local TSC.  From what it looks like from other threads, the vaccine is not 100% effective.  Someone chime in if this information is not correct.  Coccidiosis can kill quickly and I would medicate the entire flock.  We used Corid powder.  The dose is 1 and a half teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days.  Make fresh daily.  After the 5 to 7 days, we medicated with a third of a teaspoon per gallon of water for a week.  I have heard the liquid form is better, but we couldn't find that.  The dose for the liquid, I think, is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days.  Make fresh daily.  Also, do not add any vitamins or electrolytes to the water and make sure the Corid water is the only source of water they are drinking.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and keep us updated.  

In Oklahoma, Orscheln's farm supply has the big jug of liquid for $100.00.

Last edited:
I have 7 week old Barred Rocks. We got them from a hatchery and they were vaccinated fot several diseases. This morning I found a runny, bloody dropping. It had a odd odor. Is this coccidiosis? Everyone is eating, drinking and running around. There was no fecal matter at all in the dropping. Can I treat for coccidiosis without a fecal check and since they came vaccinated, will this cause any harm? Any advise is appreciated.

Treat the whole flock ASAP, they can drop dead even before showing symptoms.

My blue and peach EE hopped up on the 1x4 rim of her brooder pen and made a solid poop with a little water around it. A while later she did it again. I was concerned, but thinking back on the poop pics I'd seen, I thought I remembered that was in the normal range. She seemed so happy and healthy, and very affectionate.

At sunset I checked on them all roosting on the rim of the brooder and kept counting because there were only 14 instead of 15. Finally I saw my blue girl dead in the brooder floor, laying on her side with her wing over her head. Her head looked a little flattened so I wondered if the others had been on top of her.

The next morning I found 5 or 6 blood-tinged poops from their roosting. Time is of the essence. Now I think my blue girl was trying to show me her poop and asking for help. I feel so sad.

I'll look up the dog dose tomorrow. Remind me. :D

-Kathy

Good morning, Kathy! :) If you can find the dog dosage of 20% Corid powder, please let me know. I need to know teaspoons per gallon, since I get confused by other measurements, like %, grams, etc, and don't want to make a mistake when mixing their drinking water. I don't want to dose them individually if I don't have to. There's nine of them and the rain is making them fussy and restless.

Last edited:
Do we have to treat dogs too?

Dogs do get coccidiosis, but not from chickens, so no need to treat dogs just because your chickens have it. Chickens get at least nine strains of the chicken form, turkeys get something like seven, duck have their own as do geese, guinea fowl, peafowl, dogs, horses, sheep, cattle, etc.

-Kathy

Dogs do get coccidiosis, but not from chickens, so no need to treat dogs just because your chickens have it. Chickens get at least nine strains of the chicken form, turkeys get something like seven, duck have their own as do geese, guinea fowl, peafowl, dogs, horses, sheep, cattle, etc.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy!

I'm doing it because the heat, humidity, rain, and mud are the conditions which cause outbreaks of coccidiosis, so I don't want to take any chances. My dogs have been exposed to chicken poop in my yard, and I don't know if the cocci that affect chickens can cross to dogs, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Once a puppy or dog gets sick with coccidiosis it can take a lot of intensive care for at least two weeks to save them, and can be torturous for the dog.

I've had to treat a puppy with frequent administration of IV fluids and Albon, plus special food and nutrients. It's a harrowing experience, but fortunately the pup recovered after two weeks of continous projectile vomiting, dry heaves, bloody squirts. It's a miracle she survived.

Last edited:

I'm doing it because the heat, humidity, rain, and mud are the conditions which cause outbreaks of coccidiosis, so I don't want to take any chances. My dogs have been exposed to chicken poop in my yard, and I don't know if the cocci that affect chickens can cross to dogs, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Once a puppy or dog gets sick with coccidiosis it can take a lot of intensive care for at least two weeks to save them, and can be torturous for the dog.

I've had to treat a puppy with frequent administration of IV fluids and Albon, plus special food and nutrients. It's a harrowing experience, but fortunately the pup recovered after two weeks of continous projectile vomiting, dry heaves, bloody squirts. It's a miracle she survived.

You dogs don't need to be treated just because your chickens are. And I think it's usually a problem with puppies, not adults.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom