Coccidiosis Help!

Do you know which vet you're seeing? Not that is matter's, 'cause they're all good, just curious.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I can't say enough about tube feeding. It is easy.

The only way to,know,if your girls are eating enough is to weigh them every day, at the same time. If they aren't maintaining weight, time to tube feed.

It has been 2 weeks since I found my Lizzie down. She is still hanging in there, has gained a little bit of weight and still sleeps a lot.

It is work taking care of birds this sick. I was so worried I didn't sleep well the first few days.
I feel like I am taking care of newborns again. I was tube feeding 3 chicks,now only two.

3 times a day is necessary if they dont sustain weight.
I have them in a puppy pen with towels. So we are doing laundry everyday

My biggest disappointment with the vet is that they give you medicine and send you on your way.
Ask questions
When is it time to tube feed
How much and how often
Can they give you a catheter tube and syringe ?
What other supportive care can you give.

(It got hot here again, so our ac is back on. Lizzie has a cover to keep her warm, needs 85 degree room temperature) I keep them in the house so I can watch them, more convenient.
I am also doing a little physical therapy on Lizzie. Trying to get her strong enough so she can move enough to get her own food.

It is all personal preference for how much you want to do. That decision is different for everyone These Polish were very wanted.

Our BO pullet is part of this flock. She is doing better. In the evenings, she walks around the house. So it is getting late in the Midwest. Time for me to go clean up poo, feed and start the washer.

Sorry I rambled....
If I can answer anything specific let me know. But what I know, Kathy taught me

So my family and I decided that we will keep trying and wait the remainder of the 7 days of Corid to see if they get better before taking anyone to the vet. I have another antibiotic I could also try to give them if the Corid doesn't work. But for now I'm going to keep giving liquids to everyone every few hours.

So my family and I decided that we will keep trying and wait the remainder of the 7 days of Corid to see if they get better before taking anyone to the vet. I have another antibiotic I could also try to give them if the Corid doesn't work. But for now I'm going to keep giving liquids to everyone every few hours.

I respect your decision, but since you're going to have to do all the hard work anyway, I think it would help if you knew for sure you were treating for the right disease, and only the vet can tell you that if there's a test they can do. Even if you only take one bird in. Just don't let them tell you to put her down, because they often say that but then the animal recovers and lives a long healthy life anyway.

At least find out if you can give an antibiotic from the farm supply at.the same.time as Corid.

Last edited:
I can't say enough about tube feeding. It is easy.

The only way to,know,if your girls are eating enough is to weigh them every day, at the same time. If they aren't maintaining weight, time to tube feed.

It has been 2 weeks since I found my Lizzie down. She is still hanging in there, has gained a little bit of weight and still sleeps a lot.

It is work taking care of birds this sick. I was so worried I didn't sleep well the first few days.
I feel like I am taking care of newborns again. I was tube feeding 3 chicks,now only two.

3 times a day is necessary if they dont sustain weight.
I have them in a puppy pen with towels. So we are doing laundry everyday

My biggest disappointment with the vet is that they give you medicine and send you on your way.
Ask questions
When is it time to tube feed
How much and how often
Can they give you a catheter tube and syringe ?
What other supportive care can you give.

(It got hot here again, so our ac is back on. Lizzie has a cover to keep her warm, needs 85 degree room temperature) I keep them in the house so I can watch them, more convenient.
I am also doing a little physical therapy on Lizzie. Trying to get her strong enough so she can move enough to get her own food.

It is all personal preference for how much you want to do. That decision is different for everyone These Polish were very wanted.

Our BO pullet is part of this flock. She is doing better. In the evenings, she walks around the house. So it is getting late in the Midwest. Time for me to go clean up poo, feed and start the washer.

Sorry I rambled....
If I can answer anything specific let me know. But what I know, Kathy taught me

Wow, God bless you for all the hard work you're doing. Been there. It's totally worth it when they recover.

Last edited:
I respect your decision, but since you're going to have to do all the hard work anyway, I think it would help if you knew for sure you were treating for the right disease, and only the vet can tell you that if there's a test they can do. Even if you only take one bird in. Just don't let them tell you to put her down, because they often say that but then the animal recovers and lives a long healthy life anyway.

At least find out if you can give an antibiotic from the farm supply at.the same.time as Corid.

That was exactly the point I was trying to get across to my family, that I don't know what they have and it's going to be hard to figure out what to treat them for.

Back
Top Bottom