Coccidiosis Help!

That was exactly the point I was trying to get across to my family, that I don't know what they have and it's going to be hard to figure out what to treat them for.

You'll just have to involve a vet even if they don't comprehend the need for it. It's possible your state has animal cruelty laws that require you to provide veterinary care. Animal.cruelty is usually a felony. That might convince your family.

Last edited:
got the powdered form and am starting treatment now...again, thanks for the info :)
so far our girls are responding to the corid treatment for coccidiosis and have continued to act like regular chickens. Still can't figure out who has it as they all have been eating, drinking and running around as usual. Big thanks again for the timely response to my initial post, I believe it was what helped me to diagnose and treat right away and get the girls on the mend :)

so far our girls are responding to the corid treatment for coccidiosis and have continued to act like regular chickens. Still can't figure out who has it as they all have been eating, drinking and running around as usual. Big thanks again for the timely response to my initial post, I believe it was what helped me to diagnose and treat right away and get the girls on the mend
smile.png

Great news!

That was exactly the point I was trying to get across to my family, that I don't know what they have and it's going to be hard to figure out what to treat them for.[/quote]

Call and ask the vet how much for a fecal test. My vet was $35. That included the coccidia and the gram stain for bacteria. Since I took 3 samples, when I got there, the vet only charged me $32 and that included more Albon--another coccidia med.

I would definitely take a least one chicken to see the vet or do what ryanhodapp is suggesting and get a fecal test done. You do not know exactly what you are dealing with. You will probably end up spending more money treating the unknown than what it really is and possibly end up losing them.

So the ones outside are wheezing and sneezing and coughing with nasal discharge I feel like this could be something else besides cocci? I'm just nervous I'm treating for the wrong thing. But they also are puffy and one closes her eyes like the brahma.

It sounds like you are dealing with coccidiosis and a respiratory problem as well. The corid is only going to treat the coccidiosis.

So, I called the farmers feed place I got the two sick ones from and they said they would take them back and give me my money back. I asked them several times what they were going to do with them and he said they have the antibiotics to treat them and that's what they were going to do. I ask him if he was sure they weren't just going to kill them and he said no he promised they treat their animals. I really hope he is telling the truth. So I am bringing those two back hopefully fingers crossed they will pull through. But as for the rest of my girls I am going to call the vet and see if they can give me any advice as to what to treat them for. I am all for taking them to get examined but the nicest/cheapest vet I have talked to so far is an hour and a half away. I have also called around to a bunch of vets in my area to see if they would take a fecal sample but none would take it without an exam. The exam was around 71 dollars per bird and then another 45 for the fecal sample to be sent out. None of that includes whatever medication they require. So I am going to keep my three on the antibiotics for a few more days and if they don't seem to be getting better I am going to take them in.

Back
Top Bottom