Coccidiosis Help!

I do believe they will treat them and not cull them.

-Kathy

He said they should be easy to treat when I dropped them off. He also said he didn't think they have cocci he thinks they just have a bad respitory infection. He said I should pick up some Tylan and give them some. He didn't have anymore but I got some from tractor supply and some needles. Do you happen to know the dosage amount for them? I saw someone say .5 cc for the younger ones.

Quote: The dose I would use is 110mg/kg per day, but I would divide that up into 55mg/kg *twice* a day and I would give it orally, not by injection. Tylan injections can cause severe injection site reactions.

This is what the math looks like for a 400 gram chick:
0.4 x 55 / 50 = 0.44 ml twice a day.

-Kathy

110mg/kg is 50mg per pound.

This is what the maker of Tylan say (it's for powder, but doesn't matter, you can give the injectable the orally.
Quote:
CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

It will work best is given more than once a day. Here's the bad news... if it does work, it almost certainly means that you have CRD (mycoplasma). If it does not for, you could try Baytril, but Baytril is banned for use in poultry, so read up on that. I don't care the it's banned, so I use it.
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources

-Kathy

Last edited:
The dose I would use is 110mg/kg per day, but I would divide that up into 55mg/kg *twice* a day and I would give it orally, not by injection. Tylan injections can cause severe injection site reactions.

This is what the math looks like for a 400 gram chick:
0.4 x 55 / 50 = 0.44 ml twice a day.

-Kathy

I can just give the Tylan 50 I bought orally?

Tylan can also be dissolved in drinking water. When one of our Turkey Hens developed a severe sinus infection, this was the recommended treatment as it has antibiotic properties. You have to make sure that your Tylan water is the only source of water that they have access to because Tylan is bitter and they will only drink it if there's nothing else. It took about four days for it the infection to clear up.

However, I believe Coccidiosis is caused by a protozoa. Unless Tylan has more than antibiotic properties, it will only help with secondary infections that may develop in a sick bird. I wonder if the bitterness of Tylan indicates that it is acidic?I have read that adding vinegar, (which is a mild acid), to drinking water staves off the protozoa.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom