Coccidiosis Help!

We had some sign of progress yesterday. Lizzie is scooting. Yeah
Still tube feeding. Goal for today is to get them to,eat more on their own.

I really needed that ray of hope.

Yay! So glad you are making progress and the ray of hope. You have worked so hard. Are you still on medication? Please keep us updated on their recovery!

So it is the end of week 4.

Lizzie has had a great week. She is actually getting up on her right hock, with her chest up, instead of flat on her stomach. I noticed this morning that her left leg appears to be getting stronger too. I laid her on her left side because the crop is on the right and Kathy told me not to lay her on a full crop. So I guess she had too much time on the left.

Abe looks to be about 5 days behind his sister. His eyes are not as bright as hers, so that is my only real concern for him. I took in another fecal sample this week and he was negative for bacteria and worms. I started him on Baytril this week, I had some left over from my dog bite incident.

they are being tube fed twice a day for about the last 3 days and they are maintaining their weight. They are definitely longer from 4 weeks ago.

We have been putting them outside in a rabbit hutch the last 3 days in the morning until noon. Today Lizzie made it out and under a tree next to her BFF Buffy, our BO pullet. We have left the door open because they couldn't move far---that is a big change.

so relieved that at least Lizzie looks on her way for recovery. I told a friend, I don't care if she ever lays an egg, I just want her to feed her self.

That was a powerful coccidia strain. They were on the sulfa drug for 10 days and then after no improvement, Corid for 5.

So I feel a lot better today and hopeful.

Marlene

So to update

Lizzie is in the back yard all day now. She has become very sassy and I love her so much. She is up to 740 grams.

Unfortunately her brother had a reoccurrence of coccidia. He has been on Albon for the last 2 weeks vet also wanted me to get off the Kaytee bird food because it has been so long. So i put medicated feed in blender so I can tube feed that. I had to move up to 18 French tube. He started to REALLY fight me so I stopped tube feeding for a week and gave him mash. I thought maybe his throat was soar. But he isn't eating enough on his own.

The last 3 days tube feeding only about 35cc. Just enough to get a boost. He is only at 500 grams. His eyes still look like he is sick. So we have another week of Albon. After that I need to decide if he is ever going to thrive

We keep loosing young chicks and keets. Once they go down, they don't usually last long because fire ants get them. I saved a keet by finding it before the ants got it bad. Bought a bag of diamanthus earth and sprinkle that all around the pen when we notice ants. At first, a couple months ago, we thought they were just overheating and dehydrating so we got electrolytes and probiotics in their water and when we would see one looking sick, we'd dunk their beaks in the water and make them drink. It seemed to help but still lost maybe one every couple weeks. They all seemed to be doing well and then we lost 3 little chicks this morning (month - month and a half old). I read giving them medicated chick feed and probiotics in their water would take care of it. But apparently we need more. I asked the vet and he said Corid is good. Does anyone know if Tractor Supply carries Corid or something similar. If not I guess I'll have to check Jeffers or somewhere on line and wait for it to come in. I told my husband tonight that it probably would be a good idea to move the pen to a clean spot too. It is just an 8x8 dog kennel with a brooder hutch inside.

Last edited:
[COLOR=141823]We keep loosing young chicks and keets. Once they go down, they don't usually last long because fire ants get them. I saved a keet by finding it before the ants got it bad. Bought a bag of diamanthus earth and sprinkle that all around the pen when we notice ants. [/COLOR][COLOR=141823]At first, a couple months ago, we thought they were just overheating and dehydrating so we got electrolytes and probiotics in their water and when we would see one looking sick, we'd dunk their beaks in the water and make them drink. It seemed to help but still lost maybe one every couple weeks. They all seemed to be doing well and then we lost 3 little chicks this morning (month - month and a half old). I read giving them medicated chick feed and probiotics in their water would take care of it. But apparently we need more. I asked the vet and he said Corid is good. Does anyone know if Tractor Supply carries Corid or something similar. If not I guess I'll have to check Jeffers or somewhere on line and wait for it to come in. I told my husband tonight that it probably would be a good idea to move the pen to a clean spot too. It is just an 8x8 dog kennel with a brooder hutch inside.[/COLOR]

Call all your local farm supply stores within 60 miles until you find Corid. Around here, I get it from a small family owned farm supply, or Atwoods, Orschelns, and I'm sure others have it too, although TSC has been sold out of it for months.

The cocci live in the dirt ground, so moving the kennel is important.

The fire ants are totally unacceptable and must be killed off of your property with Ambdro or something similar. No chick should die such a torturous death. I would use a lot more DE all around, not just a sprinkle. But it'll take stronger pestacide to get rid of the ants.

Can you brood your chicks inside your house? Mine are indoors until they're six to eight weeks old.

I do know people who use dog kennels, but I don't see how a dog kennel can protect them from predators who can squeeze through the chain links, or climb in.

Also they need a to be kept at a temperature of 95 degrees the first week, and then five degrees lower each week, so that by six weeks they're okay at 70 degrees. It's been very cool at night here in OK, too cool for chicks here now.

Call all your local farm supply stores within 60 miles until you find Corid. Around here, I get it from a small family owned farm supply, or Atwoods, Orschelns, and I'm sure others have it too, although TSC has been sold out of it for months.

The cocci live in the dirt ground, so moving the kennel is important.

The fire ants are totally unacceptable and must be killed off of your property with Ambdro or something similar. No chick should die such a torturous death. I would use a lot more DE all around, not just a sprinkle. But it'll take stronger pestacide to get rid of the ants.

Can you brood your chicks inside your house? Mine are indoors until they're six to eight weeks old.

I do know people who use dog kennels, but I don't see how a dog kennel can protect them from predators who can squeeze through the chain links, or climb in.

Also they need a to be kept at a temperature of 95 degrees the first week, and then five degrees lower each week, so that by six weeks they're okay at 70 degrees. It's been very cool at night here in OK, too cool for chicks here now.
I do use a lot of the DE - I sprinkle with a cup and cover the ground. Outside the pens we use Amdro or Seven dust but was afraid that may be too strong and make chicks sick or kill them. We are in south Georgia. Fire ants are just something we deal with every day - especially after a rain. I incubate and brood in the house until 3-4 weeks normally. It is 90-100 degrees outside (except now since it has been cloudy and rainy we are having a cold snap - only 77*). When they start making a huge mess with feathers among other things, that's when I am glad to turn off my heat lamp and move them outside. The dog kennel we put the baby chicks in is lined with hardware cloth and all of them have tops on them. Nothing is getting in to them.

My question was that I had heard medicated food and the electrolytes and probiotics in their water would work instead of having to vaccinate or find Corid. Guess I heard wrong?

I do use a lot of the DE - I sprinkle with a cup and cover the ground. Outside the pens we use Amdro or Seven dust but was afraid that may be too strong and make chicks sick or kill them. We are in south Georgia. Fire ants are just something we deal with every day - especially after a rain. I incubate and brood in the house until 3-4 weeks normally. It is 90-100 degrees outside (except now since it has been cloudy and rainy we are having a cold snap - only 77*). When they start making a huge mess with feathers among other things, that's when I am glad to turn off my heat lamp and move them outside. The dog kennel we put the baby chicks in is lined with hardware cloth and all of them have tops on them. Nothing is getting in to them.

My question was that I had heard medicated food and the electrolytes and probiotics in their water would work instead of having to vaccinate or find Corid. Guess I heard wrong?

Sevin is okay to use around chickens and even on chickens that have mites. It will show up on Search.

The medicated food helps them build immunities to cocci and gives them a little bit of protection to ciccidiosis, but often doesn't totally protect them from it. Corid will work fast.

Your setup sounds really good, but there's probably cocci in the ground. Strong sunlight kills it, and so does 10% ammonia in water on hard surfaces; but for the dirt ground I'd use at least %25.

Hopefully somebody else will post with more good ideas for you.

I know how bad red ants are in the South, but I thought that aggressive treatment of all their hills can get them off of your property.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom