Coccidiosis treatment in baby chicks

MsBentleyboy

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Kentucky girl
I've searched the past forums for this topic but haven't found it yet. My question is, "At what age can I start treatment for coccidiosis?" I have older birds which have been tested positive for cocci and it was recommended that I pre-treat (build up their immunity) my babies before mixing them in with the big birds. I get my babies tomorrow or Wednesday and want to start as soon as I should.

a piece of learned thought on the babies

feed them medicated (amprolium) starter
feed this keeps the chicks from getting coccidiosis till you put them on the ground
that is where they get the coccidiosis from
there is 9 kinds of coccidiosis
Do not feed amprolium in the water as the best way to grow immunity is to get coccidiosis and then put the amproylium in the wat
and the best kind is Corid
call a feed store or a vet and get a bottle of corid, to have on hand till they get the symptoms
which will start about 7-10 days after they are put on the ground and live in the brooder house

then after you see chick opr chicks humpted up shivering and listless squirting bloody manure they need immediately to be given the corid or some kind of amproylium for 7-10 days in water

but I always used this
(immediately for two mornings)
wet mash with corid in it
2 qts of dry crumbles
4 qts of water
in 1/2 of water put 1 tsp of corid or amproylium powder or liquid then mix in dry feed

mix rest of water in and feed
and feed 2 tsp per chick for what they will eat in 20-30 minutes and then clean wet feeder and put dry crumbles in feeder

at same time put the prescribed amt of corid 1-2 tsp of corid to gallon of water
I used 2 tsp for 5 days and 1 tsp for 2-3 days more
this should immune them to coccidiosis and they will be okay
but you must watch closely their demenor as that is the time to put the amproylium in thier wet mash and water
they only have 4 days till death when they come down with coccidiosis

if that is not your choice then feed regular starter and when they act like they have coccidiosis give them the amproylium

what ever you do buy the corid or what ever amproylium product you can get

Smiths poultry Supplies in Bucyrus Ks are on line and ship daily they will have a amproylium Product

this is learned experience and good advise to raising healthy happy chicks

was this ration 2 teaspoons per 1 gallon of water or 2 tablespoons per 1 gallon of water? usually tsp means teaspoon and Tsp means tablespoon but I thought it best to check so as not to poison the chickens with too much...

was this ration 2 teaspoons per 1 gallon of water or 2 tablespoons per 1 gallon of water? usually tsp means teaspoon and Tsp means tablespoon but I thought it best to check so as not to poison the chickens with too much...
Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.

a piece of learned thought on the babies

feed them medicated (amprolium) starter
feed this keeps the chicks from getting coccidiosis till you put them on the ground
that is where they get the coccidiosis from
there is 9 kinds of coccidiosis
Do not feed amprolium in the water as the best way to grow immunity is to get coccidiosis and then put the amproylium in the wat
and the best kind is Corid
call a feed store or a vet and get a bottle of corid, to have on hand till they get the symptoms
which will start about 7-10 days after they are put on the ground and live in the brooder house

then after you see chick opr chicks humpted up shivering and listless squirting bloody manure they need immediately to be given the corid or some kind of amproylium for 7-10 days in water

but I always used this
(immediately for two mornings)
wet mash with corid in it
2 qts of dry crumbles
4 qts of water
in 1/2 of water put 1 tsp of corid or amproylium powder or liquid then mix in dry feed

mix rest of water in and feed
and feed 2 tsp per chick for what they will eat in 20-30 minutes and then clean wet feeder and put dry crumbles in feeder

at same time put the prescribed amt of corid 1-2 tsp of corid to gallon of water
I used 2 tsp for 5 days and 1 tsp for 2-3 days more
this should immune them to coccidiosis and they will be okay
but you must watch closely their demenor as that is the time to put the amproylium in thier wet mash and water
they only have 4 days till death when they come down with coccidiosis

if that is not your choice then feed regular starter and when they act like they have coccidiosis give them the amproylium

what ever you do buy the corid or what ever amproylium product you can get

Smiths poultry Supplies in Bucyrus Ks are on line and ship daily they will have a amproylium Product

this is learned experience and good advise to raising healthy happy chicks
Chicks in brooder and on medicated feed,can still have an overload/outbreak of Coccidiosis. NOT all strains of Cocci,have blood as a symptom. There are 9 strains of Cocci,so an outbreak can happen at anytime. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,it is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings.Cocci can be spread by birds,bringing new chickens into your flock,bringing it in on your hands/clothes/shoes, and contaminated feed utensils. Most birds have some cocci in their sml intestines,only becomes a problem if they have an overload,then we medicated to bring it back under control. Cocci medication works by blocking the absorption of Thiamin(vit B1)by the body,parasite needs Thiamin to reproduce,medication stops reproduction bringing cocci back under control. Chickens will only build immunity to the strains the have been introduced to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom