Coccidosis despite antibiotic

brothfeder

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Catskill Mountains
I noticed bloody mushy stool on the droppings board seven days ago. I started to medicate with 10ml liquid Corid per gallon of water. Today, being the eighth day, I'm seeing LESS bloody stool, but I can tell at least one bird has it. I was planning transitioning over to RACV in the water today (for probiotics) and then treat again in two weeks (a vet told me the lifecycle is a 2 week one). Now I don't know what to do.

You should know I ferment my feed with RACV. Its usually not soggy, slushy and wet food, I keep it on the dryer side, but they must be getting some water intake from that.

What should I do? I'm guessing someone isn't drinking enough meds... Isolating the bird (even if I could figure which one) is not an option.

You're probably right with your first paragraph assumptions.

The probiotic is a good idea.
You can stand with them when they come out in the morning, many will be defecating and see which one has bloody stool.
The ability to quarantine a bird is a must for chicken keepers.

There is a heavy dosage of amprolium and a light dosage. If you have an infestation, always use the heavy dosage.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

By the way, Corid is a thiamine blocker, not an antibiotic. Coccidia are protozoa, not bacteria.

I noticed bloody mushy stool on the droppings board seven days ago. I started to medicate with 10ml liquid Corid per gallon of water. Today, being the eighth day, I'm seeing LESS bloody stool, but I can tell at least one bird has it. I was planning transitioning over to RACV in the water today (for probiotics) and then treat again in two weeks (a vet told me the lifecycle is a 2 week one). Now I don't know what to do.

You should know I ferment my feed with RACV. Its usually not soggy, slushy and wet food, I keep it on the dryer side, but they must be getting some water intake from that.

What should I do? I'm guessing someone isn't drinking enough meds... Isolating the bird (even if I could figure which one) is not an option.
Per the FDA and mfg of Corid you should continue the treatment for another 5-7 days at 2.5ml per gallon. If you kew which one was still pooping blood, you could give it Corid orally. Daily dose should be 20mg/kg (~0.1ml per pound).

-Kathy

Last edited:
Appreciate the chart and handy info casportpony. Since I've seen a VERY gradual improvement, I think I'll continuing dosing and maybe up it as you have reccomended.

By the way, Corid is a thiamine blocker, not an antibiotic. Coccidia are protozoa, not bacteria.

Thanks for reminding me about the biology regarding Coccidia. All too often we panic, follow whatever guidance for treatment we can find, but truly do not understand the biology and chemistry behind the issue.

The 10ml per gallon you have been giving *is* the correct amount to give for the first 5-7 days of treatment... I was suggesting that you continue at a reduced dose of 2.5 ml per gallon for another 5-7 days. If you could find the one pooping blood, you could give it the Corid orally for a few days at 0.1 ml per pound. Sorry if what I wrote was confusing,
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Just had a thought... maybe they'l drink more of the medicated water if you give them dry feed (not fermented), or mix their dry feed with medicated water?

-Kathy

Just had a thought... maybe they'l drink more of the medicated water if you give them dry feed (not fermented), or mix their dry feed with medicated water?

-Kathy

Mixing their Corid water with dry feed works like a charm.
I've been considering this and maybe thats what I should do. I don't have any non fermented feed right now... don't know if mixing it with fermented feed would be an issue. Since I've learn Corrid is not an antibiotic, i think it would be fine...

Back
Top Bottom