Cochin bantam color genetics

I have a chocolate hen and a black hen. What color rooster works best with each one? Thank you!!
Chocolate.
With the chocolate hen you'll get all chocolate offspring.
With the black hen they'll be sex linked. Chocolate pullets and black cockerels.
If you have them all in the same pen you'll at least be able to weed out 1/2 your boys at hatch and everything else will be pure chocolates.

Chocolate.
With the black hen they'll be sex linked. Chocolate pullets and black cockerels.
If you have them all in the same pen you'll at least be able to weed out 1/2 your boys at hatch and everything else will be pure chocolates.
Is this true for all breeds as well, not only for Cochins? As in, for example, a Chocolate Orpington and a Black Orpington would produce the same sex-linked offspring? I know different breeds can carry a different strain of color genes.

Is this true for all breeds as well, not only for Cochins? As in, for example, a Chocolate Orpington and a Black Orpington would produce the same sex-linked offspring? I know different breeds can carry a different strain of color genes.

The chocolate gene (choc) is a sexlinked recessive gene, so any breed that is chocolate due to that gene will make sexlinks by crossing a chocolate male to black female. Chocolate Orpingtons do have the sexlinked chocolate gene; in fact, I understand it was via outcrossing to Orpingtons that introduced the gene to Cochins in the first place. So a Chocolate Orpington male bred to Black Orpington females would, indeed, make sexlinked chicks, where the resulting pullets are Chocolate and the cockerels are Black carrying the chocolate gene.

As a counter example, this would not work for Chocolate Polish because they are actually genetically dun (I^d/i+), not chocolate. I don't know of any other exceptions like them, however.

The chocolate gene (choc) is a sexlinked recessive gene, so any breed that is chocolate due to that gene will make sexlinks by crossing a chocolate male to black female. Chocolate Orpingtons do have the sexlinked chocolate gene; in fact, I understand it was via outcrossing to Orpingtons that introduced the gene to Cochins in the first place. So a Chocolate Orpington male bred to Black Orpington females would, indeed, make sexlinked chicks, where the resulting pullets are Chocolate and the cockerels are Black carrying the chocolate gene.

As a counter example, this would not work for Chocolate Polish because they are actually genetically dun (I^d/i+), not chocolate. I don't know of any other exceptions like them, however.
:thumbsup

Thank you!

Chocolate.
Thank you very much! Interesting and exciting!!

Back
Top Bottom