Cochin chicks - any idea on sex or color?

hawesjulie79

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
First of all, let me say I am new at this. My neighbor friend and I decided to breed her ... partridge-looking (I think - the first picture is of him - he is on the left) roo to her black frizzle hen and my black mottled hen. These were the results. (The yellow chick slipped in there somehow - I am thinking my leghorn/Cochin cross must have laid an egg that got past me while the hen was setting.) I thought they were all going to be black at first, but now some are developing some white wing feathers. Anyone have any thoughts on color or sex? Also, can someone confirm what color that rooster is?? Thanks!

they're too young to sex, but I wonder what they will look like as they grow? as far as color goes there's no real way to say since you mixed colors (partridge to black and mottled) they wont breed true and could come out looking different from the parents

I agree that the colors will probably be all over the place. The "penguin" ones with white bellies and faces will probably end up some degree of mottled or black. The full black ones will probably be black.

The boy is not partridge, but also kind of all over the place? If I had to put a variety on him, I'd say Buff Lakenvelder. But it's not a proper variety either. It will be exciting to see what colors you get from these!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom