Cochin color question-

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
Is there a way to make a paint or splash cochin using white and blue?
I just got a white cochin rooster and was thinking of putting him with my blu cochin hen.
The rooster is a bantam and the hen is standard but I'm not worried about that.
Only reason I want to do that is to get splash or paint, is that possible or would I need a blue rooster or a paint/splash rooster?
-
Also forgot to mention, the roo just had a bath as he was fighting with my other cochin rooster (The white one is new) the white one had, not his blood but the other ones all over him. 😐.
Also why he is currently in my biggest dog kennel temporarily.
But that's not my point, while bathing him and drying him I found a couple spots of black.
Would that help with creating a paint? 🤔
He's with my white hens at the moment.
17027456554365331900969065688071.jpg
17027457515704543959111876088131.jpg

Here's the blue hen case she can help with anything.
17027457376318471153027697625891.jpg
17027460137142411201753462140449.jpg

Dominant White X Blue should make paints, since blue is diluted black. But may also make blue paints. Paints with blue splotches rather than black.

I don't think Splash would show up very great on white. But myself haven't done this form of breeding.

White Cochins are recessive white, which is not the correct white gene to make the paint pattern. You need dominant white for that, for which you'd have to out-cross to a different breed that has that gene in order to introduce it into your Cochins.

It's possible, if he just happens to carry blue, that you could get Splashes out of that cross, but definitely not a guarantee and I would not rely on that as a possibility. Personally, I would expect White x Blue in Cochins to produce leaky Blues and Blacks, maybe some Whites as well if the hen carries the gene.

White Cochins are recessive white, which is not the correct white gene to make the paint pattern. You need dominant white for that, for which you'd have to out-cross to a different breed that has that gene in order to introduce it into your Cochins.

It's possible, if he just happens to carry blue, that you could get Splashes out of that cross, but definitely not a guarantee and I would not rely on that as a possibility. Personally, I would expect White x Blue in Cochins to produce leaky Blues and Blacks, maybe some Whites as well if the hen carries the gene.
What if I put the blue girl with my calico?
I know he's darker but I came across these blue calico cochins and was wondering how that happened.
1702759852022563162418299234333.jpg

Calico x Blue would result in leaky Blues and Blacks as well. Blue is the result of a gene called extended black (E) or sometimes birchen (E^R) with extra melanizers, in either case with a dilution gene that turns black plumage to blue. Extended black is dominant over patterns and birchen is dominant over everything except extended black, so either way it hides other colorations in the first generation of such a cross like with Calico, generally letting just a little bit of color leak through in the neck, saddle, or breast. However, all of the resulting chicks would carry genes from their father for the Calico pattern. That means that if you take those leaky Blues from that cross and cross them back to Calico, you should get a small portion of Blue Calico / Blue Mille Fleur from that.

Calico x Blue would result in leaky Blues and Blacks as well. Blue is the result of a gene called extended black (E) or sometimes birchen (E^R) with extra melanizers, in either case with a dilution gene that turns black plumage to blue. Extended black is dominant over patterns and birchen is dominant over everything except extended black, so either way it hides other colorations in the first generation of such a cross like with Calico, generally letting just a little bit of color leak through in the neck, saddle, or breast. However, all of the resulting chicks would carry genes from their father for the Calico pattern. That means that if you take those leaky Blues from that cross and cross them back to Calico, you should get a small portion of Blue Calico / Blue Mille Fleur from that.
what about the ones in the last part you mentioned that dont end up being blue calico or blue mille fleur- what if they were crossed back to calico- would i get a bigger portion of blue calicos or would it be relatively the same?

So, to reiterate for clarity, first generation cross of Calico x Blue, you'll get leaky Blues and leaky Blacks.

Crossing those leaky Blues from the first generation back to Calico will get you a small portion of Blue Calico / Blue Mille Fleur in the second generation. The rest of the second generation chicks should be a variety of colors; leaky blue or black, leaky blue or black mottled, blue or black columbian, black calico/mille fleur, some birds that resemble columbian or mille fleur but perhaps have more or less black or blue on them than they should, etc.

If you cross the leaky blues from the second generation back to Calico, you'd expect much the same as before; a small portion of blue calico/mille fleur and a variety of other patterns. Crossing the leaky blue mottled or the blue columbian back to Calico should make more blue calico/mille fleurs than with the leaky blues, about one quarter of their offspring instead of about 10 percent as with the leaky blues without visible mottling. You will not get any Blue Calico/Mille Fleur by crossing any of the black patterned birds back to Calico, however, because the blue dilution gene is a partial dominant gene, meaning if they do not have blue parts on their feathers then they do not have the gene to dilute blue to black and thus cannot pass it on to their offspring.

So, to reiterate for clarity, first generation cross of Calico x Blue, you'll get leaky Blues and leaky Blacks.

Crossing those leaky Blues from the first generation back to Calico will get you a small portion of Blue Calico / Blue Mille Fleur in the second generation. The rest of the second generation chicks should be a variety of colors; leaky blue or black, leaky blue or black mottled, blue or black columbian, black calico/mille fleur, some birds that resemble columbian or mille fleur but perhaps have more or less black or blue on them than they should, etc.

If you cross the leaky blues from the second generation back to Calico, you'd expect much the same as before; a small portion of blue calico/mille fleur and a variety of other patterns. Crossing the leaky blue mottled or the blue columbian back to Calico should make more blue calico/mille fleurs than with the leaky blues, about one quarter of their offspring instead of about 10 percent as with the leaky blues without visible mottling. You will not get any Blue Calico/Mille Fleur by crossing any of the black patterned birds back to Calico, however, because the blue dilution gene is a partial dominant gene, meaning if they do not have blue parts on their feathers then they do not have the gene to dilute blue to black and thus cannot pass it on to their offspring.
Interesting, i may start me a blue calico project now 🤔
You mentioned some mottling, both blue and black- Could I start my own mottled project?
Like what if I took any black or blue mottled birds and crossed them back to each other?
Also that would be line breeding correct? Since they'd be siblings.
If I were to do that what would your recommend I look for? The ones with less leakage or the ones with the best mottling? Or both?

Interesting, i may start me a blue calico project now 🤔
You mentioned some mottling, both blue and black- Could I start my own mottled project?

You could! The mottling gene is recessive, so a first generation cross of mottled to non-mottled will make mottled carriers. That means that all of the birds from the crosses I described in my last post also carry the gene for mottling since Calico is a mottled variety, they just don't express it because it's recessive. So crossing birds expressing mottling to each other will make more mottled birds, and crossing the leaky blacks or blues from my previous post to the ones that are mottled should make roughly equal numbers of mottled and mottled-carriers to work from as well.

Like what if I took any black or blue mottled birds and crossed them back to each other?
Also that would be line breeding correct? Since they'd be siblings.

Sibling to sibling crosses are fine if done occasionally, but from my understanding it's better to cross them either back to a parent or to an unrelated mottled individual. Line breeding is crossing back to a parent, not crossing sibling to sibling.

If I were to do that what would your recommend I look for? The ones with less leakage or the ones with the best mottling? Or both?

I would pick your breeders for less leakage primarily and better mottling secondarily. Both, in other words, but weighted toward getting rid of leakage because that tends to be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom