Cochin losing feet feathers. Red and inflamed feet/legs.

That is odd that you have all cochins and are having this problem. There is a possibility that it's something else, but it does appear to be the same. Hmm... I'd imagine it may stress them a bit to move your rooster, but for the rooster, I'd say the condition of his feet are also causing him stress. The only way that I can think of to see if he's being pecked is to separate him by himself and see if he heals.

But I'd suppose you could try to put something on his feet that your hens won't like the taste of. But if that doesn't work, I would separate him. They don't like it at first, but they adjust.

Update: I have been wrapping my roosters legs as the feathers start to grow in. Sadly, now two more of my hens are starting to have the same issue. I didnt notice it on the hens until today. The vets that we showed were stumped.. Not sure if the feathers are pulled out and then the yellow skin goes with them so you end up with pink skin...or if some disease is causing the pink skin and THEN they peck out the feathers. Just not sure what is coming first. My roosters pink skin is not changing even though he has feathers growing back in. I change wraps every 3 days.

Thank you! Wow...too funny that I coated his legs with vaseline for weeks..not knowing that was really a successful way to get rid of them. I started wrapping because his gorgeous white feathers were so black from dirt...sticking from the vaseline. He went from looking like a show chicken to so pathetic and dirty.... So wrapping seemed a good way to go. I just went out and re wrapped and coated again with vaseline. Seems to be alot of conflicting info out there on treatment. I will start with poultry dust tomorrow.... and dust the coop hay and outside in our dirt...as well as dusting each bird. I see ivomec or ivermectin is also recommended but I know how hazardous ivermectin is to horses and I'm not willing to go that route unless I have to. So we'll start with the dust. Thank you! Amazing that I sent all the pictures (many more than posted here) to two vets and neither one encouraged me to treat for mites.

Glad you may have found the answer. Poor guy! It's so frustrating when even the vets' can't help. I've been there. Hope the vaseline, wrapping and dusting does the trick.

My guy actually healed right up after a cleaning with some vetericyn, and separation from the hens. So in his case, it was definitely the girls pecking him.

Hello. I have been reading these posts from several years ago. See photos of my Cochin hens feet. She was broody for a while and I know the other girls were fighting with her. But she is back to laying again now but not sure about her feet. For those of you who have seen this, what should I do? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C45F366E-B56A-47F8-A12E-249CD8B08423.jpeg
    C45F366E-B56A-47F8-A12E-249CD8B08423.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 6D116806-918E-4DEA-B0EB-A1826BA67AA2.jpeg
    6D116806-918E-4DEA-B0EB-A1826BA67AA2.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 15
I’ve got a Cochin with same problems. He was in a pin with another more dominant Cochin rooster, and 3 Cochin hens. Both of his legs are red like that and one leg that is more red he is actually limping on. I separated him to tend to him and have a different flock for him to have all to himself. I thought the red skin was just normal too. And this also was the only place I saw anything that looked even close to what I was dealing with! So I’m glad I finally found this thread!

Back
Top Bottom