Cochin Pullet Limping

BorderBrigade

Songster
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Perry County, PA
Good Evening, I have a 7 week old cochin pullet that i found was limping, not wanting to put much if any weight on her right leg yesterday evening. I seperated her and put her in small pen in my tack room with food and water. She is eating and drinking very well. I have been giving her scrambled eggs and oatmeal as well just to make sure she gets enough to eat since its difficult for her to get to the food. I was reading that limping is a symptom of mareks but could it also be a sprain/strain/bruise in her leg or foot. I have felt the foot and looked it, no swelling, discoloration or scabs so i am thinking leg injury. these are my first chickens. I have 9 cochin pullets and this is the only one showing any kind of sign of limping like this. Any advice is helpful. What are some other signs of mareks besides limping? I did not have them vaccinated since the hatchery said since i have no other chickens and tehy will never leave my own place there was no reason. all of mine were acquired as day old chicks and are now all 7 weeks old. Thank you!

Last edited:
There's a thread where it was definately Mareks...It's called PeeWee is sick! Paralysis is more common in younger chicks though. For both of your sakes, I hope it's just a sprain, good luck.
smile.png

Thank you everyone for your replies:) they are appreciated. I ended up taking her to a vet and she has a broken foot. He made her a small cast of her foot and leg and said it should heal up fairly quickly with her age. I was so releived. Thanks!

That's great, well great it's not Mareks!
celebrate.gif
Sorry that it's broke though especially on the foot since it moves a good bit. Glad that it can get better.
smile.png

I am pretty sure she jumped down off of the perch in the coop or got knocked off by another pullet. They had just recently started using the perch's. I have started putting extra bedding in the coop inscase it happens again. Any other suggestions on how to "soften" teh floor in a coop? i have a peice of linoleum flooring on the floor of my coop and all i do is just sweep the bedding out once a week and replace. Think i could put a piece of foam or something under the linoleum in front of the perch's where they jump down? or just chalk it up to an accident? THanks!

I am pretty sure she jumped down off of the perch in the coop or got knocked off by another pullet. They had just recently started using the perch's. I have started putting extra bedding in the coop inscase it happens again. Any other suggestions on how to "soften" teh floor in a coop? i have a peice of linoleum flooring on the floor of my coop and all i do is just sweep the bedding out once a week and replace. Think i could put a piece of foam or something under the linoleum in front of the perch's where they jump down? or just chalk it up to an accident? THanks!
Well I can tell you, a piece of foam was in our trash that flew out one day and sure enough my free ranging chickens saw it and attacked it like VULTURES. They ate the foam, not all of it because as soon as I saw the croud of chickens surrounding this foam, I got it. You would think I just gave them some kind of treat. LOL.... I would think straw would be a good soft covering... Perhaps maybe raising the floor so they don't have to jump so far down? Take the linoleum floor and put some bricks under it to raise it. I don't think straw on top would work because it would be to slippery. My cochins are jumpers too but I have never had one break it's leg like that, do you think she could have broke it some other way?

Back
Top Bottom