Cochin x Silkie mixes?? Frizzle x Standard Cochins?? Info please!

elisabeth_

Songster
Mar 27, 2020
Georgia
Hey guys :cool:

My broody Silkie is currently sitting on a bantam Cochin egg that is due to hatch soon.

first question: for the Cochin egg, the rooster is a black frizzle, and the mom is either a standard black Cochin or a frizzle... so if the chick was a mix of the standard and the frizzle, would it come out with curly feathers or smooth??

second question: assuming the chick will be a hen, :fl I’m curious to know what kind of chicks a black Cochin hen crossed with a calico Silkie rooster will make... does anyone have pics of their mixes?? And will it make a difference if the dad is a Silkie and the mom a Cochin??

Thanks guys!!

If mom is non frizzled you have a 50/50 chance of frizzled or non frizzled.
If mom is frizzled you have a 50/50 chance of frizzled or a drizzle (frazzles are a bad deal)

Agree with the above, though i think autocorrect has changed frazzle to drizzle.
In terms of Cochin x Silkie I don't think it matters which is the roo or the hen as silkie feathering will be recessive and so not show on the chicks. If your calico is a red mottle (i'm not 100% sure of calico genes in silkies) then it will be recessive to the black and all your chickens will turn out black with non-silkie feather but perhaps some dark skin and extra toes.

Thank you for your replies. I was just wondering, are the chances of getting a frazzle high? I’ve been doing my research and I would hate for the poor little chick to turn out like that, it looks extremely uncomfortable. :(
I’m hoping the mom was the standard Cochin and that I might get a smooth feathered chick so I won’t have to worry about it.

Frizzle to Frizzle will give you 25% smooth, 50% Frizzle and 25% Frazzle, so you have a one in four chance if the Frizzle hen laid the egg, most people keep frizzle hens and roosters separate for this reason. If the hen was a smooth cochin then there is no chance of frazzle (but still a 50% chance of frizzle).

Frizzle to Frizzle will give you 25% smooth, 50% Frizzle and 25% Frazzle, so you have a one in four chance if the Frizzle hen laid the egg, most people keep frizzle hens and roosters separate for this reason. If the hen was a smooth cochin then there is no chance of frazzle (but still a 50% chance of frizzle).
Thank you for answering. I only have one egg to worry about because it was a mistake (my bantam cochin is not in a good environment for hatching chicks). When I found the egg and that it was developing, I stuck it under my silkie (my silkies are separate from my cochins). I’m hoping it is an egg from the standard Cochin, but I will look into getting the frizzle hen separated from the frizzle rooster.
Thank you all for informing me. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom