Cochins from Ideal

Quote:
Check out his legs and feet (including bottoms). If they are yellow, he's not a Langshan. He also has too much feathering on his legs to be a Langshan. Other than that........
big_smile.png
I'd use him for a black bantam Langshan project.

They are yellow.

Here are my 2 white Cochins from Ideal. I ordered 2 pullets but got a rooster and a pullet. I don't mind though because he is so pretty:

Elvis

37917_elvis1.jpg

Priscilla

37917_priscella1.jpg

Both

37917_both.jpg

Chicks I got in May. The purple on them is from some medicine I put on them because someone in the coop was pulling feathers. I suspect it was one of the rooster packing peanuts that they sent me.

37917_dscn0473.jpg

37917_dscn0481.jpg

Quote:
I would really like to see the rest of your birds, they are so pretty

( Im so getting bantam black cochins now ) I guess mom's going to find out I bought more when I have to pick them up at the post office haahah

We bought 25 when they were selling them for $.99 each early this Spring..the quality was so low we sold them all.Poor feathering,wrong tails,etc but I'm comparing them to my much nicer breeding stock which I didn't get from there.

I have a black cochin bantam from Ideal, Blackie, named by one of the neighborhood children;

P8200020.jpg

His quality is quite fine with the exception of a single white feather on his foot. He is very young in this photo - mean little man, though.

Here are some pictures of my Bantam Cochins from Ideal Poultry. We started with 13 chicks, but we kept only 5 pullets long enough to see how they turned out. We have 2 black, 2 buff, and 1 partridge. We were looking for pet quality, friendly, petite, quiet pullets. We are happy with our Ideal chicks.

Here are the chick pictures:

Buff Cochin Chicks about 4 days old
20741_p1200490.jpg

Partridge Cochin Chicks about 4 days old
20741_p1200520.jpg

Black Cochin Chicks about 4 days old
20741_p1200512.jpg

By about two weeks, we could tell which of the black chicks were the boys.

Here are pictures I took about 3 or 4 weeks ago shortly after they started laying.

The Partridge. She has a nice cushion, but I don't have any good photos of it apparently. Her foot feathering is sparse.
20741_p1230193.jpg

One of the blacks: she doesn't have a perfect cushion, it is a little pointly, but her feet have long gorgeous feathers to make up for it.
20741_p1230208.jpg

The other black cochin. She is probably the best out of the bunch. Great personality from day one.
20741_p1230219.jpg

This is the worst of them in regards to type. Fortunately for her, she is super sweet, quiet, and a total lap chicken that is always hoping on to me for rubs. She is named Greasy Chicken because she is the ugliest little thing with slightly silky feathers. She actually looks a lot better than she did at 12 weeks. This is a great improvement. But don't tell her I said all that because I love her and it might hurt her feelings if she knew I didn't think she was pretty.
20741_p1230222.jpg

The other buff:
20741_p1230224.jpg

The flock all together:
20741_p1230261.jpg

There are more photos on my blog.

I shall now post my Cochin's from IDEAL

This is one of the 2 Std. white cochin hens I have with her day old Trader Joe's babies

43696_hen_with_her_chicks.jpg

And my Gold Laced and Silver Laced Cochin pullets ( they are mean, they CONTINUALLY peck my sultans feet until they are bloody
barnie.gif
)

43696_chick8.jpg

^ ^ ^ they are older now, and the lacing is coming in

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom