Cock-a-doodle-do

Justachickthing

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
We woke up this morning to our Silkie Rooster cock-a-doodling~ What a great thing to experience! We just found out that she was a he 2 days ago and now this! It's so much fun! Does anyone have any tips on raising roosters? This isn't something we planned but are so excited! We were thinking about building a separate coop to house the silkies but now that we have a rooster what do you think? Thanks for the advise!
big_smile.png

I, too, got an unintended Silkie rooster. I was going to get rid of him, but he was just such a mild mannered little guy, I kept him. He is now nearly a year old and he is a great rooster. He's not aggressive and treats his hens well. He also sounds the alarm when he sees someting flying in the sky. My silkie hen decided to go broody, and since the rooster was doing his job, hatched 8 of 8. I keep the silkies with the rest of the flock of Red Stars, NH reds and a couple of mixes. They all do fine together.

I raise roosters the same as hens. they have the same requirements food-wise (mine free range) and I love having a roo or 2 in the flock. They keep order and warn the ladies against danger. And they are great pets. My head boy is house reared, as tame as a dog, very friendly, terribly spoiled and a very good husband to all the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom