Cockerel amongst my pullets

@Grub Digger
@azygous

If it is in fact a pullet I'll be ecstatic b/c she's going to be beautiful!!!

Last edited:
It looks like the comb is already very pink. My Americana males are hard to sex until 7 or 8 weeks old since they don't have big combs. But if I see color coming into the comb then I know it's a male. Females don't have any color or development in their combs until more than 3 months old.
I love roosters and usually have 6 to 8 of them here all the time. But any rooster that shows aggression will become supper.
wink.png

I say girl too. By now, the crown would have been a bit more red if it were a boy. One of my BOs had a very red crown starting from about 5 weeks. I Did not find out what the gender was until it layed an egg at 5 months! And yours has a very light pink crown so its most likely a girl.

Dave, I've had a pretty good schooling in spotting cockerels in the herd this past year, coming up with three unexpected boys.
By six weeks, the boys have more developed combs, wattles emerging much earlier than the girls, and the combs are red, Red, RED.

Your EE is definitely a girl. EEs come in all sizes. She's likely going to be on the large size, and may lay jumbo blue/green eggs.

@azygous

can you take a close look at the Barred Rock as well?

It has a VERY distinct comb and is pink.

Last edited:
@azygous

can you take a close look at the Barred Rock as well?

It has a VERY distinct comb and is pink.
She is definitely a girl. A Barred Rock male has a much lighter color than a pullet, because the male carries two barred genes and female carries one. And the comb is only pink, not red.

Back
Top Bottom