Cockerel Behavior Aggression or Something Else?

TabITSWD

Chirping
Nov 9, 2015
Northern Arkansas
I am hoping to get some opinions on cockerel behavior from some of you that have been at this a while. I have a cockerel who is 13 weeks old, just now getting his big boy feathers and has started to act in a way that concerns me. He's a bird I was really really hoping to breed but that may not happen because IF what he's doing is a predecessor to aggression he won't be here for that long. I know he's at the phase right now where all his hormones are starting to scream at him and I want to know if you think that I likely have a future aggressive roo or he's just weird. He's being kept for potential breeding because he has several traits I value. But he has flaws too, he makes a strange un-chicken sound when he sees animals outside his run, I think its a warning but it sounds like a woman screaming. And now: he is dancing at my presence.
But only sometimes. Specifically when the other cockerels are in the yard and I enter. If he's the only one in the yard and I enter, he doesn't do it. At all. When he does do it, I've been picking him up, firmly but not rough, hanging him upside down if he struggles(only once) and if not, just carrying him like a football for 15 minutes or so. Weirdest part is that when I reach out to pick him up he just kind of moves in to my arms. He only struggled once and never struggles when being carried around this way. He does that lady-scream when he sees a squirrel or a dog when being carried, which is annoying since its so close to my ears, but other than that, he's not even a pain to carry around. But he's never done any other aggression behaviors. Yet. No raising of neck feathers with me. No tidbitting, or picking stones. No pacing or that agitated behavior when they don't like something/someone. He is middle pecking order, 3rd in charge with 2 FBCM males who are older than him by a month above him in the order. And he's above the three 9 week olds that joined their coop a week ago (added early because one crowed and I try to move them in before they're doing that). The only other even slightly aggressive action he does is to peck the younger birds when they're all in the yard and he “decides” its time for them to go in. He'll peck one of them and kind of herd them in but he never chases them inside or for any other reason and he doesn't pick fights with the Marans in charge of the group either. I almost get the sense the shoulder down walk/dance is for the other cockerels and not for me. Is that possible? What is the value in that? He doesn't do a circle close to me, he places himself between them and me, usually halfway, and walks a line with his wing down between us, back and forth – who knows how long he'd do this if I didn't walk over and pick him up when I see it? I assume I'm above him in the peck order because he submits easily, even eagerly, when I snatch him up but is he sending them a message or is it that he just hasn't shown the other aggressive behaviors towards me yet? Is there a chance he's just practicing his dance? Or is it definitely a predecessor to something worse? I have had an aggressive roo I gave to a neighbor for stew before, but that one never danced, just flared and attacked every human that came in the run as well as bloodying the hens combs whenever he was near them.
The males do not see females at all. They can hear them but they are in a different part of my chicken complex and not in any line of sight from their coop or run.
Also, he doesn't do that when I enter the coop to clean or do other maintenance.
I don't “handle” males. I know it makes it harder when they have an injury that I need to deal with, but with 2-6 males at any given time, I need them to have respect more than I need them to feel unafraid and then be easy to catch. If I have to catch them during the day, it IS hard. They are not accustomed to being handled. Well, except this one now – he almost seems to enjoy being picked up after he's danced the line in front of me.
Their coop is spacious, 6x8, with multiple roosts and space to utilize under the droppings board. There are multiple feeding stations so no one can be held out of food, same with water.

Even if I could “fix” aggression to some extent, I am not interested in breeding a bird with an aggressive tendency no matter how much I favor his traits. I am just unsure if its aggression, it doesn't look like the aggression I have seen before.

It seems so counter intuitive, because with dogs and cats, if you are nice, they for the most part are nice. They like affection, and people like to give affection and feel that it is returned.

Chickens are a flock animal, and they all get along, as they figure out who is higher and who is lower by giving very distinct signals. Unfortunately people often time misinterpret these signals. You are recognizing that this is not what it seems like, many people without experience do not, until they are being flogged. Then come and say that the darling is now the nightmare. Chickens equate fear with respect. If they are not afraid of you, they don't respect you, and they will get bolder and bolder, eventually attacking to prove the point.

When a chicken goes up to another chicken, there are three possible responses. The second chicken can attack, chest bump, or peck. This is stating I am a higher chicken than the other. Or the chicken can squat down or run off and hide. That is saying I am a lower chicken than the other.

Often times the rooster is the most outgoing of the chicks, they are fearless, and come up to you so friendly. When people give them attention, it is like a hen cooing at the rooster, telling him how wonderful he is, and they believe that they are dominant. These are the chicks that will sit in your lap. They are not afraid. This is especially true of roosters that are raised with just flock mates. People are not in the coop 24/7. Most of the time, he is the top bird, and there is nothing bigger than him to teach him respect. In my experience roosters raised with just flock mates often times become aggressive to people.

So when the rooster comes up to you, toward you, he is asking, 'where are you in the pecking order? When you bend down and pick him up, he is not afraid, he is in the seat of power. He hears you say that he is above him.

if a rooster comes toward me, I stomp toward him till he moves off. If he does not move off fast enough, I chase him till he is pretty desperate to get away from me. If he puffs up, crows excessively when I am there, flaps his wings at me, sneaks around behind me, or stares at me, he is culled.

I think it is good that you are recognizing that something is not right. I, too, have a hobby for eggs and a bit of meat. I enjoy my flock, and any bird that does not make me happy is culled.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Umm. I forgot the question. That post was so long and not broken up into paragraphs, I kind of lost my way.
th.gif

Oh yeah, the early aggression signs. Yes, it indicates his future temperament. You probably don't want to select this one to breed.

Whew.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm also having a problem seeing exactly what he's doing that's concerning. He's alerting to potential threats? And dancing when you're present? Is there anything else?

The alerting I wouldn't worry about. He's learning what is a threat and what isn't. My young potential keeper is alerting to everything right now, cause he just learned he can.

Dancing around you is easily fixed. I don't pick them up, I shoo them with my foot. Push them, stomp at them, chase them a few steps, whatever. I don't like picking my birds up, so I make them move away, it's easier for me. That's a simple re-training fix.

Aart...
“It's not about too much info, it's about unorganized info.”
I get it, I'm not accustomed to online socializing so I'm getting the hang of it. Who knew there'd be a negative to avoiding online social networking, I'm a bit green with my form.
I can see that post is disorganized.

“You say near the end that you don't 'handle' males, but mentioned several times earlier about picking him up?<shrugs>”
I meant that I don't normally pick up males but in this case I have been picking up the cockerel in question, in an attempt to let him know he is not the boss. I did that because this forum is full of people who advise picking up the roo “to show him who's boss”. I had to do something because if there's a problem I have to deal with it. My DH will not get involved in chicken stuff in any way.
And clearly that picking up the cockerel thing didn't work for me. :/

“...removing all but one male can make a huge difference”
Yes! You're right. When I get down to one breed. I am in the process of phasing one breed out right now but I still have 3 others.
Those 3 breeds I want to keep distinct until I know more. Segregating roosters is the best way to ensure this for now. For me, this is the correct way – lots of people successfully keep multiple roosters this way.

“Not sure what your setup and goals are.”
This is my hobby, a thing I choose to enjoy, and spend some of my surplus time and money on. My goal is to find the right breed or two that will give me eggs the way I want them and meat the way I want it also. I am trying different breeds and methods, and learning from experience which I like and which I don't.
This, what is happening now, is part of the process – I am learning which cockerels to keep.

I ignore my male chicks as they grow up, I ignore most of mine, I'm not into excessive handling. When boys reach sexual maturity and start making the hens scream if I'm in the area they will get chased off or I will toss my plastic feed scoop in their direction to startle them. It very similar to what a dominant rooster will do, he will take any opportunity to go after younger or lower ranking roosters, chasing them about 10 feet away sometimes farther. Eventually my rooster run out of my way and keep a respectable distance. After they reach about a year old I don't really do anything to them unless they are doing stuff that annoys me like mating in front of me.

I haven't had any roosters come after me since using my technique and keep multiple roosters of all ages and breeds. I don't even think about it. You need to be the dominant one, but you also need for them to know you aren't a part of the flock by not petting and handling them.

I love Nubian, yours are so adorable. I currently on have wethers, 12, 3 are pygmy the rest are dairy goat, I had a Nubian, he was beautiful, I lost him a few years ago and haven't been able to find another when I go looking. I plan to only buy dairy boys and bottle raise them.

I keep reading that about stones, but it hasn't been my experiences, I've kept many wethers over the last 25 years. The only one with stone s was a buck I purchased at three months, he was dead within weeks from stones. They must have been feeding him a lot of ration. My own I don't even think about it.

Mine eat all our tree trimmings, I call them my natural chipper shredders.

Woweee you've got a whole crew working for you there! I LOVE your Lamanchas. Sticking with dairy goat boys too- I'm afraid goat math gets considerably more expensive than chicken math so the temptation to breed is thwarted by the wrong equipment, eheheheh Well, plus there are a considerable number of these guys who need a home. We've stopped at 2 because our property doesn't have a barn, just the goat house we put in a couple years ago, good enough for 2 big guys. We're in one of those 'future development' areas and the city planner has decided that our area will eventually be 'light industrial' after they build their stupid road and start ripping everything up...rrrrrr, anyway-- as we put up various animal structures, fences, etc., it's always with portability in mind- whether big change happens is 1 year or 10 is impossible to say.

I had a rooster like that, the screaming and dancing quickly turned into screaming and attacking, nothing I tried worked, carrying him made him angry, yours is allowing you to pick him up because he's asking and you are doing, I would try ignoring him or shagging him off and not allowing him to dance at me.

I think all young roosters should grow up with an older mature rooster who knows how to correct that type of behavior, and older hens who will remind him of his place.

I think you will find him escalating his behavior as Spring gets closer and will probably have to make him your supper.

Back
Top Bottom