cockerel limping

Rainier

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Thurston County, WA
I think our BR cockerel was injured fighting with our turkeys (who are headed to freezer camp soon). He is limping I was going to catch him to really look him over but he kept trying to run away and was hopping. I stopped trying to catch him.

He came close enough to me (cracked corn lol) that I really looked him over well and there is no wound that I can see and no blood or missing feathers on that side of his body.

I'm not sure if I should catch him when he is running away because I'm worried about causing further injury. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, etc?

If you want to catch him do it after dark when he is on the roost. I would cage him with food and water for at least a week or two, to help his leg heal up if it was sprained. He can be placed in the coop or run so he's still around the other chickens.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I swear my dd is the chicken whisperer. She can get the chickens when no one else can. She pets them on their breast area and then slides her hand down and scopes them up, very little fuss from the chickens, even Mr. Rooster

I gave him a good once over and cannot find any signs of injury. No wounds, no missing feathers, etc. He is limping though so we set up a small cage for him in the chicken run. I check on him every couple of hours and every time at least one pullet is by his cage.

Back
Top Bottom