Cockerel or pullet?

Dmuno

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2021
This little one is a baby that I hatched from my araucana hen and enthusiastic rooster (he has a lot of ladies and I have yet to find an egg that isn’t fertilized). It is about 4 weeks and already has a pronounced nose ridge. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 8B8F4374-C3BE-4EAD-90A4-31C94991801B.jpeg
    8B8F4374-C3BE-4EAD-90A4-31C94991801B.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 4
This little one is a baby that I hatched from my araucana hen and enthusiastic rooster (he has a lot of ladies and I have yet to find an egg that isn’t fertilized). It is about 4 weeks and already has a pronounced nose ridge. Thoughts?
Too early to tell, but that comb is pretty developed so I'll go with cockerel for now.

I can't tell from that shot. The comb is reasonably developed but really pale, not red at all. Could go either way.

Can you post more photos in another week or so? Another one similar to that showing the comb and wattles. A second shot showing the profile. That means he needs to stand on his own. I know, some can be challenging to get a good photo. What I'd be looking at is legs, posture, and profile. Some chicks remain hard to sex for several more weeks, but often around five weeks certain symptoms start to show.

Back
Top Bottom