Cockerel or Pullet?

MSgt Mike

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Farmersville TX
Out of 17 chicks purchased Mar 2 I've already removed 3 cockerels, 2 more gone tomorrow and am asking about these 2.
Neither have crowed at all but the white one is bound and determined to mount one of our Ameraucana pullets. Does that make it a cockerel?
The Saphire Gem isn't doing anything yet to indicate gender. The long tail feathers have us perplexed. I've removed 2 SG cockerels that have already spoken up, but their colors are different also. Sorry for the long post. Really trying to get the new flock merged with our 5 grown hens and don't want the cockerels.
1000006127.jpg
1000006128.jpg

The Saphire Gem isn't doing anything yet to indicate gender.
They're sex linked with hen being blue and cockerels being barred and that's a cockerel. He's sporting pointy saddle feathers also.

The white one is too.

ETA: starting around 12 and usually well by 16 weeks example images from google..
1688504808751.png

1688504823610.png

ETAA: I see more saddle feathers in the pic with the white guy.. are some of those gone or going already?

Last edited:
They're sex linked with hen being blue and cockerels being barred and that's a cockerel. He's sporing pointy saddle feathers also.

The white one is too.

ETA:
View attachment 3566007
View attachment 3566009
ETAA: I see more saddle feathers in the pic with the white guy.. are some of those gone or going already?
SO helpful. Thanks! 3 of our Black Cochin's have made their voices known and will be gone tomorrow. We have 2 more that aren't making any noise but I'll be checking those saddle feathers closely this evening.
This is so disappointing. After losing just one chick on the first night, now finding out that we may end up with only 8 of 17 to keep. Atwoods didn't have their brooders tagged when we bought them and the worker said they were all pullets. The next day I looked at their FB page and saw that 3 of the 5 breeds we chose were straight run. The the Easter eggers were supposed to be pullets but one of those turned out to be a cockerel and he's already gone. Oh well, it's a crap shoot.

Back
Top Bottom