Cockerel size difference and safety

chicChickChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2015
We currently have a variety of six cockerels- all 11 weeks old. There’s room for two to three to stay. The two favorites are a teeny tiny ?welsummer bantam? and a giant surprise EE cockerel from a batch of sexed pullets.

The bantam is so tiny I can’t even imagine him getting along safely with the standard hens, and the EE cockerel is already heavier than my grown standard hens.

Right now everyone sleeps all piled up and cozy and gets along fine.

What should I expect?

Last edited:
Watch there behavior closely, don't allow any of the cockerels to misbehave. Pay close attention to the bantam because he's vulnerable among the bigger birds.

That’s the plan so far. I’m hoping someone else has experience with a big size difference in cockerels.

At 11 weeks - no one can make predictions. With all cockerels, todays behavior is not an indicator of next month, next week or even tomorrow. Right now, they are in the darling stage...soon that can become the nightmare.

What you do need to set up at this time is a plan B. Gather up a dog crate or other small cage, a 5 foot handle fish net, a set of leather gloves. They need to be stashed near by. If you don't ever need them, good deal! If you do need to separate fighting birds, you need it right NOW.

I have never used one, but I have seen a high powered squirt gun can help too, to cool their jets so to speak.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom