cockerel with pendulous crop

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Hi

We have an Easter Egger cockerel, he was hatched last October. He has developed a huge pendulous crop. It has gotten bigger over a period of a couple of weeks, at first, I wasn't sure what was happening. Now, his crop is grossly distended, and rock hard.
sad.png

It is to the point where it's interfering with his voice, and he's having difficulty moving around. I was able to catch him and have him in a small pen. He's a little underweight, too, and is starting to act like it is bothering him. I read somewhere that it can sometimes be treated by not feeding him twenty four hours, then massage, olive oil, and soft food. I don't want to cull him, although he is an extra cockerel, I was hoping to keep him since he's an EE and I'm trying to build that up in our flock. But I don't want him to suffer. Is culling the best or only option? The crop is not squishy at all, which makes me wonder if a tumor might be involved. I have not been able to find much information about pendulous crop, anywhere. Could it have been caused by worms?

It may have been caused by worms. Have you wormed your flock lately? If so I would not think its worms causing the problem. But it may be a tumor but since he's just a cockrol I would not think it is. And yes massaging his crop and giving him olive oil (give him a little water too) will help his crop. Since you say his crop is very hard try to push into his crop a little to help get the stuff out.
You should get him a chicken crop shirt. This will put pressure on his crop and constantly be helping move the stuff out and making shure it does not get packed with food. Here's the website...
http://crazykfarm.mybigcommerce.com/birdy-bra-crop-supporter-chest-protector/
Have him where it most of the time.
And here's a website on how to help him:
http://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/pendulous-crop
Hope this helps! :)

Thank you. It could very well have been caused by worms. We had a problem most of last year with Capilllary worms, and so yes, I've been worming periodically since then. Just dewormed them in January, but just used Rooster Booster dewormer, because the flock as a whole seems ok, . They are on another course of dewormer (Rooster Booster) right now. I imagine that not all of them get the Rooster Booster, especially since it's pelletized, although it's got a reputation as an excellent dewormer. Technically, his crop is probably just terribly impacted, not pendulous. It's rock hard. I have him in a pen. I will try the olive oil and massage, I guess. But I'm not very optimistic. Something is affecting his voice too, he sounded like he was strangling when I caught him last night, and I wasn't squeezing him. We had a hen with impacted crop last year, and yeah, she had capillary worms. It's very discouraging. He's an extra cockerel, so culling is a probability if he doesn't turn around soon.
sad.png

Last edited:
Thank you.  It could very well have been caused by worms.  We had a problem most of last year with Capilllary worms, and so yes, I've been worming periodically since then.  Just dewormed them in January, but just used Rooster Booster dewormer, because the flock as a whole seems ok, .  They are on another course of dewormer (Rooster Booster) right now.  I imagine that not all of them get the Rooster Booster, especially since it's pelletized, although it's got a reputation as an excellent dewormer.  Technically, his crop is probably just terribly impacted, not pendulous.  It's rock hard.  I have him in a pen.  I will try the olive oil and massage, I guess. But I'm not very optimistic.  Something is affecting his voice too, he sounded like he was strangling when I caught him last night, and I wasn't squeezing him.  We had a hen with impacted crop last year, and yeah, she had capillary worms.  It's very discouraging.  He's an extra cockerel, so culling is a probability if he doesn't turn around soon.  :(

I'm sorry. I hope your rooster gets better. :)

yes, he's very hungry and thirsty, I've only been giving him a little soft food, bread and oil with some applesauce or yogurt, and plenty of water. I haven't tried to massage his crop yet, I haven't had time, I have four chickens in hospital care right now for various things, it's insane.
sad.png
And I have to work too and of course there is life outside of chickens....
hmm.png
Thankfully, one's recovered and she will be going back to the flock tomorrow, most likely. I want to try and just massage his crop first, I think today i can, and see if that helps..I don't want to "vomit" him really, except as a last resort. What do you think?? I'm guessing it might be too late to help him much, but just looking at him it looks like his crop might be a little smaller, I'm just not sure.

Most of the stuff you need to do, like emptying "vomiting" the crop, I just won't be able to do except maybe tomorrow. I won't have anyone to help me til then. It's freezing cold here and my husband's disabled, so he won't help me with this one, though he usually does help with other things.
sad.png
Would massaging the crop when it's in this state help at all as far as it emptying on it's own?? From what I've learned thus far, probably not?

I would not try vomiting him as it could aspirat him and its a 2 person job.
Massaging may help I think it would so you can massage it.
And since you say he seems very hungry and thirsty this meens that little or no food at all is passing his crop. Which is very serious so you should start treatment as soon as you can. And since he's not getting his food and water past his crop you need electrolights for him. I think that homemade electrolights are the best so I would make that. Or you can buy chicken electrolights at the store.
This website is about heat stress and has a electrolight ingredients but the same electrolight mix can be used for any chicken problem like your cockrols.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html?m=1
I hope that website helps!!
Sounds like your feeding him some good foods. But only give him VERY small pieces of bread at once because bread can clog chickens crops. But other wise your feeding him well and I hope your rooster gets better soon.

thank you I very much appreciate the advice. I'm at a loss with these crop issues. Our hen who had impacted crop last year died. I'm sure hers was from worms.
Hers wasn't as bad as this one's is either. And today at breakfast he was not doing very well. I am going out there now to try and massage him. I'm relieved we don't have
to vomit him just yet.
tongue.gif
If he has not improved by Monday, I will make arrangement to end his suffering.
sad.png
I read somewhere that ACV is useful in preventing crop issues. We use
it once in a while here, a couple of times a month. I'm thinking of increasing the use, and also increase our use of oregano oil, to hopefully act as preventatives.

Back
Top Bottom