Cockerel's first crow...

Scooby308

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Kentucky
So I am outside this morning and hear what sounds like a Tarzan call, except under water. Yup, at least 1 cockerel in those sexed EEers that were supposed to be all female.

When I heard it, it shocked me. The dogs freaked. Aries thought someone was in her chickens and ran down to check it out. Lol, Dobermanns, always protecting.

My 8-week old Gold Laced Polish cockerel chick has been crowing for the past three days! I can tell our Poli's crow because he sounds like the "Kelloggs" rooster in their old cornflake commercials, but this new roo sounds like a woman screaming in a "Midnight On Elm Street" movie! :eek:
Woke me out of a dead sleep this morning! I sat straight up in bed and I knew right away what it was! A new roo and a new "scary" song! I sure hope he gets a better sounding song... :hmm

Y'all are funny! :gig I too, received 3 roosters when I ordered NONE. Yes, I can have them, but didn't want them. I like my white one, he's a jersey giant and huge. I call him Harvey after the white rabbit of the same name in the jimmy stewart movie "Harvey". He sounds like he is being strangled when he crows and he's been at it for long enough to sound much better. I also like my dark brahma Elmer. His crow is normal and he is very friendly. Black Bart is my black jersey giant and he is quite standoffish. He won't have anything to do with me. Elmer and Harvey will eat gently out of my hand, not Bart. His crow is quite nice I think, the best sound of the three, but the problem is he starts crowing at 6am! He gets Harvey and Elmer started! I have a neighbor that came over one day asking for a rooster. He wants his hens to get broody and have chicks. I'm going to go visit him and maybe sell him Bart. :yesss:

I got seven chicks, 6 weeks old. One of them is a GLW that has had a obvious male comb since 2 weeks, right now he squeaks. I 3 GLW and 3 SLW and a silver penciled rock in a order from my pet chicken. They totally screwed up my order, it was supposed to have 3 partridge rocks, and all were supposed to be females. So not only do I have a GLW male but the 3 SLW has one male if not 2.
I also have Orpingtons, one of which is a Cockrel. He didn't start crowing till he was 5 months old. But when he did there was no doubt he had a voice lol

3 out of 10 sexed chicks....? Oh boy (literally). I got one rooster surprise and that has been enough for me. Can you keep roosters?

Yes. I have a farm. I'm going to grow them out and see if anything looks nice or desirable. If not they will go to freezer camp.

I swear one looks like a RIR. He is the friendliest of the group. He comes up to eat out of my hand and will let me catch him easily. Not that I need him, but so far, as a juvenile, he's nice. I know that will change.

Gotta get on building a bachelor pad for these guys.

Back
Top Bottom