Cokerels or Pullets - Oh My! How to tell?

Oh Poo! Just like I figured. Well...the cockerel that is behind that pullet is the one that I like. I kind of hoped that it might be a pullet. But when I noticed that it's feathers had that beautiful sheen and when his comb/wattles grew and were red I figured that he probably was going to be a roo. We don't really want any roosters, however, he is so nice and sweet that we may keep him. Until his crowing gets on the neighbors nerves, or ours. Thanks for your help. Guess we need to do a cockerel round-up. Some of them are bullies and pick on the other cockerels and pullets. One likes to grab hold of the pullets neck feathers and she will try to run away, screaming, and usually the feather gives way before the cockerel will let go. He also grabs the other cockerels by the wattles and pulls on them while they are trying to get away. What a meanie!

Hello again all! Well...we ended up sending all of the roos but one to the local farm auction. Things started to get pretty violent between the roos and sometimes escalated to the hens. There was one very dominant roo that kept grabbing the others by the wattles/combs and shaking them like a dog with a rag toy! We loaded the 6 into our Have-A-Heart traps Tuesday morning and my hubby took them to the auction on his way to work. We are hoping that the remaining roo (my favorite that seems docile) will be good to the hens. If he turns out to be a meanie he will go the same route, though my hubby has not qualms about making him into soup. Things are much quieter now. Not as much squawking going on at night during the roost shuffle, no squawking going on while they are out catching bugs/eating grass/destroying our lovely flower beds
barnie.gif
, etc. I'm hoping that the peace is everlasting (at least until we HOPEFULLY get to hear the egg song
ya.gif
). Oh, and my husband thought he heard crowing this morning. He said that it sounded far away, though it could have been muffled due to the fact that the chickens were still in the coop.
hmm.png

With that being said. All's good so far! We have family members bringing us empty egg cartons (with smiles on their faces). Think they are looking for some free, fresh, hormone-free/nutritious eggs? LOL They are going to have to wait until fall as our hens are only about 14 weeks old.

Hi again.

Well...no egg song, but our one and only rooster just started crowing a few minutes ago. Not very loudly either, which I hope it remains so. Don't want the neighbors complaining, or he will have to go! Hey, that kind of sounds like a limerick! Ha!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom