Cold Weather Cannibal

jeepgirl13

Crowing
Mar 13, 2013
Arizona
:barnie:barnie:barnie

One of my new Hampshire reds is real pain the patootey, and she proved it today.

Sometime between 7am and 9 am, she decided to corner one of my younger birds and pecked her till she was bloody. We did just introduce them, 3 birds I hatched out september 12th. They spent 3 weeks next to each other in a look/no touch pen.

Shes mangled the poor birds tail. I've brought her in next to the fireplace, its 74 in the house, but warmer next to the fireplace. I washed the wound as best I could with warm water, flushed it with guilt-free wound rinse, and tried like you-what-what to get the neosporin to stick to the wound, but it just wouldn't. I'm finishing up some chores while she dries by the fire, then I'll be taking her up to the barn to get some bluekote for her.

Does it sound like I handled this properly? Does the wound look ok? Its obviously very painful for her, but she seems to be doing well. This is the same bird I helped with hatching issues and splay leg, so of course shes going to be my trouble bird:rolleyes:
20191026_094609.jpg
20191026_094747.jpg
20191026_094731.jpg
20191026_094615.jpg
15721055964472200917977497656650.jpg
1572105614588992002709121195639.jpg

ETA: they've been together in the new coop for almost a full week, tomorrow it's a week. I have 3 food bowls and 2 separate water stations. Hubby is expanding the run for me today and going to add new hideyspots and things for them to do in order to hopefully avoid this again.

The Neosporin will stick if you use a hair blow dryer to dry the wound after applying the wound spray. Blu-kote is a good idea to conceal the wound. Returning the patient to the flock is the best thing, but you need to watch closely to see if she continues to let the RIR beat up on her. Then you may be facing a bully/victim issue that requires intervention.

:thumbsup She should be fine. I'd be more concerned about the NH Red and a repeat occurrence.
Oh I'll be keeping my eye on her. Shes not the boss, my black australorp is, shes the 2nd in line out of the three bigger girls. But she has been sort of mean to the bottom hen. Nothing too intense, but still made me wonder about her.

I just had the convo the other day with my hubby about how I dont have enough room to keep mean birds. She still young enough to make a good rotisserie or crock pot meal.

If you are thinking of expanding your run, include a "jail" enclosure. It comes in handy for different issues confining a chicken when necessary. I even use my jail to brood chicks in my run so I don't need to deal with brooders indoors.
I might have to incorporate this. I've got an extra dog crate I use when I have to bring birds inside, but I would like an outdoor pen like this.

I've still got the little girl inside. I'll have to move her back out once renovations are complete and this storm passes. I left hubby to work on it while I ran errands in preparation for this storm coming, and he didnt get much done. :rolleyes: little does he know hes getting his butt up early and were working on it.

I think I do have a bully victim issue going on. The red hasn't bothered the other 2 younger birds in there. One is an SLW and the other is a silkie mix. The poor white bird the red pecked on incessantly is the same size as the SLW and the silkieX is half the size of the both of them.

Unfortunately weather put a damper on the run expansion. Yay snow:rolleyes:..... Therefore, any separations and reintroductions will have to wait till this coming weekend :barnie
If you are thinking of expanding your run, include a "jail" enclosure. It comes in handy for different issues confining a chicken when necessary. I even use my jail to brood chicks in my run so I don't need to deal with brooders indoors.

I just had the convo the other day with my hubby about how I dont have enough room to keep mean birds. She still young enough to make a good rotisserie or crock pot meal.

Unless she is something special, and the bullying continues-yes, I would put her into the crock pot. Chickens bully; it seems to be part of their nature, but when blood is spilled the situation can get serious. Best wishes and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom