Collecting pea seeds from pods

Jada22

Songster
Feb 24, 2022
I’m wondering how to know which are the “good” vs “bad” peas from pods to save for seeds next year. Are the white ones bad?

Also would the “bad” seeds be harmful to chickens? The chickens love these peas so even if I throw them in the compost they may eat them.

Attachments

• 94EE94A0-9A34-4DE4-9E0C-07FAEC223DD1.jpeg
    94EE94A0-9A34-4DE4-9E0C-07FAEC223DD1.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 8
I think they are all fine.
I have sometimes purchased packages of pea seeds, and opened them to find different colors of peas, which all grew just fine.

You can test them: put one of each color in some damp paper towels for a few days, and see which ones sprout. If they all sprout, then you know that all colors can be fine. If one does not sprout, test another few of the same color to see whether it's a problem with that color or with something else.

I think it should be fine for chickens to eat them. Beans need cooking before chickens eat them (there is a toxin that is destroyed by heat), but I think peas are safe raw. Or you could cook them or sprout them, then feed them to the chickens.

I think they are all fine.
I have sometimes purchased packages of pea seeds, and opened them to find different colors of peas, which all grew just fine.

You can test them: put one of each color in some damp paper towels for a few days, and see which ones sprout. If they all sprout, then you know that all colors can be fine. If one does not sprout, test another few of the same color to see whether it's a problem with that color or with something else.

I think it should be fine for chickens to eat them. Beans need cooking before chickens eat them (there is a toxin that is destroyed by heat), but I think peas are safe raw. Or you could cook them or sprout them, then feed them to the chickens.
Perfect thank you very much. I had read discoloured ones should be tossed but I have no idea what it would look like when discoloured. Sprouting some first is a great idea.
Peas are safe raw I’m just not sure if they’re still safe when dried up.
Speaking of beans that’s what I’m on to next. I don’t think anyone wants to eat them so I’ll have to figure out the safest method between sprouting or cooking so that the chickens can help out!

I had read discoloured ones should be tossed but I have no idea what it would look like when discoloured.
Discolored ones tend to be obvious. If you find any that are little shriveled brown things, or black with mold, or something like that, I would toss them. But the ones you show look normal and healthy to me.

Peas are safe raw I’m just not sure if they’re still safe when dried up.
I think they must be fine dry, given all the posts I find that say it's safe to feed dried split peas to chickens.

Speaking of beans that’s what I’m on to next. I don’t think anyone wants to eat them so I’ll have to figure out the safest method between sprouting or cooking so that the chickens can help out!
I would probably cook the beans rather than sprouting them, just because that's easier for me. The chickens won't care if the beans are still hard, as long as they've been cooked hot enough and long enough to deal with the toxins.

For how long to cook: many web pages say 10 minutes at actual boiling temperature is enough. The United States FDA recommends soaking for 5 hours, discarding that water, and then boiling for 30 minutes.

The most detailed explanation I found was from Ohio State University:
"Research indicates that the toxin is destroyed when boiled at 212 degrees F for 10 minutes, but scientists recommend 30 minutes to be certain the beans reach the proper temperature for the amount of time necessary."
https://u.osu.edu/chowline/tag/phytohaemagglutinin/

Obviously a variety of opinions there! And some varieties of beans have a lot more of the toxins than others, so the guidelines are meant to deal with the worst case, and assume that will be fine for all others as well. If you want to read more about it, the term is phytohaemagglutinin.

Discolored ones tend to be obvious. If you find any that are little shriveled brown things, or black with mold, or something like that, I would toss them. But the ones you show look normal and healthy to me.

I think they must be fine dry, given all the posts I find that say it's safe to feed dried split peas to chickens.

I would probably cook the beans rather than sprouting them, just because that's easier for me. The chickens won't care if the beans are still hard, as long as they've been cooked hot enough and long enough to deal with the toxins.

For how long to cook: many web pages say 10 minutes at actual boiling temperature is enough. The United States FDA recommends soaking for 5 hours, discarding that water, and then boiling for 30 minutes.

The most detailed explanation I found was from Ohio State University:
"Research indicates that the toxin is destroyed when boiled at 212 degrees F for 10 minutes, but scientists recommend 30 minutes to be certain the beans reach the proper temperature for the amount of time necessary."
https://u.osu.edu/chowline/tag/phytohaemagglutinin/

Obviously a variety of opinions there! And some varieties of beans have a lot more of the toxins than others, so the guidelines are meant to deal with the worst case, and assume that will be fine for all others as well. If you want to read more about it, the term is phytohaemagglutinin.
Thank you very much this has been really healthful :)

Dried peas are fine for chickens (some feeds have them mixed in/ground in).

As far as which ones to plant, I think the plumper, greener ones are more likely to sprout, but I haven't tested it in a controlled environment. When I plant peas, I usually drop 2 seeds close to each other in each hole, and I usually do 1 green + 1 less green, and it generally only yields one sprout, but sometimes I do get 2.

Back
Top Bottom