Mr D

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2015
SETX
What is the outcome:

1. A RIR Roo with a Lavender Orp Hen

1. A Lavender Orp Roo with a RIR Hen

In both cases, the offspring would be black.

The RIR is actually Columbian wheaten. Wheaten is a pattern (e-locus) gene and determines what colors are expressed where. RIRs do not carry Lavender.

The Lavender is a black chicken with two lavender modifier genes. Extended black is the e-locus gene.

Recessive lavender (lav/lav) x dominant non-lavender black (Lav/Lav) results in (Lav/lav) offspring, which are black.

Dominant extended black (E/E) x recessive wheaten (e^Wh/e^Wh) results in (E/e^Wh) so all of the offspring will have the extended black pattern.

The RIR over lavender will be black with red leakage. The amount of red will vary and be more prominent in hackles and breast area.
Not sure what a "golden" buff is exactly. But yes buff can act suprisingly some times.
With a similar cross I've done you get a darker then buff but lighter then red color. Most had black in tail.
I've seen two kinds of buff. One was basically a red bird (mahogany) with two dilute genes to turn the red to buff.
The other was not carrying mahogany or the dilute genes. So buff is buff. Add mahogany turns it red. Then add dilute and it turns back buff.
Either way you'd be only adding one mahogany gene or losing one dilute gene hinge why the color comes out in between.

In both cases, the offspring would be black.

The RIR is actually Columbian wheaten. Wheaten is a pattern (e-locus) gene and determines what colors are expressed where. RIRs do not carry Lavender.

The Lavender is a black chicken with two lavender modifier genes. Extended black is the e-locus gene.

Recessive lavender (lav/lav) x dominant non-lavender black (Lav/Lav) results in (Lav/lav) offspring, which are black.

Dominant extended black (E/E) x recessive wheaten (e^Wh/e^Wh) results in (E/e^Wh) so all of the offspring will have the extended black pattern.
I'm following you!!

Whenever i mentioned Golden Buff, I meant Buff Orpington (going back to my original thread on crossing Orpingtons with RIRs).

Hello! I know this is an old post but a similar question. I have a chick I am pretty sure is the result of RIR Roo over lavender hen. I will post a picture of the probable parents and chick. Any thought on gender?

Attachments

• 20201110_162831.jpg
    20201110_162831.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210607_074747.jpg
    20210607_074747.jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 4
Your hen and the chick are blue not lavender.
How old is it?

Back
Top Bottom