Color Gurus: Partially Barred Solid Rooster?

Rujzin

Songster
7 Years
Jan 9, 2016
Missouri
I have a blue barred EE rooster that I have assumed to be pretty straightforward: he is barred and he is blue.

But tonight I caught him up and discovered that ONLY his hackles, saddle, wings, and parts of his tail are barred. ie. The darker parts. The lighter parts (chest, body, most of his tail) I had assumed to be lightly barred.

Nope. I checked over his light feathers and couldn't find any barring on his chest, sides, and belly. Most of his tail was solid, with a few light tail feathers that showed some barring.

I thought the barred gene put barring on all colors. What would cause very obvious barring on the top of the bird and absolutely no sign of barring on the bottom half of the bird?

I will get pictures of him in the next day or two. If you want me to take a picture of anything in particular to get a better look at something then let me know.

Is that typical of blue barring or are there weird genetics at play?

If I cross him with some solid blues, will I get more of him or fully barred birds?

I just did a Google search for blue barring and it looks like there are a lot of examples of what he looks like.

So what is going on with it? Why doesn't the barring affect the entire body like it would with black or red?

I just did a Google search for blue barring and it looks like there are a lot of examples of what he looks like.

So what is going on with it? Why doesn't the barring affect the entire body like it would with black or red?
The presence of Columbian will cause this. Only if there are two copies of Columbian. breeding to a bird without Columbian should make a bird with barring all over, but only if the barred gene comes from the male. The female will only pass barred to males.

The presence of Columbian will cause this. Only if there are two copies of Columbian. breeding to a bird without Columbian should make a bird with barring all over, but only if the barred gene comes from the male. The female will only pass barred to males.
A solid blue bird will not have two copies of columbian.

Back
Top Bottom