color question

encorepistol

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
MO
Ok Im working on a project and was just curious about some of the color on a few of the f2s . First cross was mottled cochin over black wyandottes. All F1 chicks were solid blue or black. I crosses male f1 and female f1 and hatched ojt a lot it seemwd. Well after growing out Ive got a few cockerels with red and some gold in them but also motttling. Where would this have come from and could it be of any use for anything like mille.fleur? Heres a pic of one.
26015_062311191155.jpg

The color may come from a recessive gene, meaning, one of his ancestors or relatives may have had/has this color. Perhaps when his breed was being created, one of the chickens the used had this color or something similar.

Ya Im sure it is just wonder what it is lol. Just wonder if it is from the cochin or wyandotte also. Might keep one of them and breed back and see what I get just for fun. I hatched out 3 mille fleur cochin project chicks and wonder what these would do to them?

That bird would likely help a Mille fleur project. I would do some test hatching when he's old enough to confirm, but he looks Mille colored to me. Very nice!

Sounds like fun! We are working on jubilee Orpington in large fowl, which is a Mille fleur pattern. I think it is such a lovely color.

Ya Ive seen! !! You have done a lot of work for sure. Im a wyandotte freak myself but love different colors. I wish I had more time, money, and breeding pens where I could make more progresss lol...

Back
Top Bottom