Columbian silkies?

Your roo does look more to be out of Gray breeding. If I remember correctly - breeding columbian to partridge is the route to go.

Here are a couple of Columbians that I raised last year. Correction, these are Barred Columbian.

Last edited:
Your roo does look more to be out of Gray breeding. If I remember correctly - breeding columbian to partridge is the route to go.

Here are a couple of Columbians that I raised last year. Correction, these are Barred Columbian.

Aren't the columbians supposed to have the dark in the hackles also?
Like this Wyandotte, for example?

Yes, they have black in the hackles and I was told smutty buff hens to produce more Colombians. Here is my. Boy.
I thought so. Then I wasn't sure because I really don't know much about the columbian color, so I checked my standard of perfection book where it states:
NECK: Hackle - surface of feather, lustrous greenish black, with a narrow lacing of silvery white; nearly all of fluff and shaft, black; some white at juncture of quill with skin. Front of neck - white.

Your picture didn't show up!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the answers! I will try to breed him to my partridge hen and see what i get. I will also breed him with whites (dominant) and see the result. I can post here what happens with my "tests"
smile.png

They are difficult to get, specially the good ones. There is more mixings available than purebred.
I have so many orders that i dont know how long people have to wait for their silkies.
I think they are getting more common but cause the situation is that there is not hardly any (or a lot) available,the numbers will not be huge here.Yet.

They are difficult to get, specially the good ones. There is more mixings available than purebred.
I have so many orders that i dont know how long people have to wait for their silkies.
I think they are getting more common but cause the situation is that there is not hardly any (or a lot) available,the numbers will not be huge here.Yet.

I hope the silkie population will rise back home! They're a great breed of birds.
big_smile.png

I just love love love them, specially the bearded ones. I prefer the US standard and my goal is to breed as close as i can to that, in think most in Finland are not so good cause people do not breed to any standards, just for fun usually.
My incubator is now filled with silkie eggs, the roo is salmon colored and the hen is white, i can not wait what i get out of this couple! Sorry for offtopic..

Back
Top Bottom