Comb and wattles -- signifies about to lay?

We got our first 2 eggs today!!! We have 6 chickens, and no idea which one did this! We are completely new to raising chickens. We got the girls in March, so they are all about 5 months old now. We never knew how much fun chickens could be until we got the girls!!! My husband and I and our 2 grandkids absolutely love them.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Alright! You are proving that the "wait-til-they-lay" method works.
You don't really need to do more - those that will, will.

Those that wont, don't.

This business about wattles and combs and feeling up their bottoms came from the need to cull unproductive hens from the flock. Back in the day, that was a concern most chickeneers had, since they didn't want to feed hens that didn't pay their way.
To get it right, one had to know for certain what was going on. Otherwise you might cull a hen that was still productive, or keep a freeloader. They were a tougher lot in those days.

Today we like chickens as pets, and we don't have the same expectations of them. If they don't lay, or lay poorly, its not a big deal. Livelihoods don't hinge on our efforts, and a little wasted money spent feeding freeloaders won't matter much. It's more like a big science experiment, really.

But if you're gonna do it, you may as well do it right. SO feel those bottoms, folks. The wise chickeneer probes his or her chickens...

Last edited:
Alright! You are proving that the "wait-til-they-lay" method works.
You don't really need to do more - those that will, will.

Those that wont, don't.

So are you saying that some chickens won't lay at all?​

I think all chickens are just different. Mine are only 11 weeks old and some have had the red comb/wattles for a little while now. As a matter of fact,one of them darn near looks like a Rooster as red as she is. All of my hens squat down when I pet their backs. Even the 2 that are barely turning red. Even my 3 Roosters squat down when I pet them. I really wish I could go by what you all are saying...because that would mean I'd have hens that are fixing to lay before they reach 13 weeks old?? Is that even possible? Mine are Cornish X

I believe Cornish x are bred to be meat birds. I don't imagine they lay well, if even at all. Most start to have serious health problems the older they get. There are birds that will start to lay that young, but it is not very common. I have several breeds and just got my 1st egg this Saturday from my oldest girl, who is a comet. She turned 16 weeks yesterday. Hopefully my other ones will soon follow suit. She has the reddest face and I noticed not long before she started laying, she began to allow my alpha rooster to "show what he had in his pocket."
wink.png

Quote:
So are you saying that some chickens won't lay at all?

Sure. Some people won't work, some chickens won't lay. DIfferent example - same result.

Take the molt, for example. It is a physio-biological condition, but it can turn a previousluy good layer into a freeloader. It can last weeks, even months, during which time the hen may dry up entirely.

Now, it is admittedly a rarity to have a hen that never lays, since its what they are bred for. But there are those who lay poorly, or molt too soon, or suffer from nerves and stop laying upon seeing the neighbors cat. It happens, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Thanks davaroo!! for clearing up a few more of my questions!

I have 5 girls and 1 roo, 2 of my girls lay every day, 1 lays about every 3rd day and I've yet to see the other two lay, but they've only been with us for about 1 week so I guess they're still getting over their move.

And our cats hang around the chicken pen too.

All of our girls have bright red wattles and combs, I hope it means they're happy.

We got 4 chicks in march, 2 Easter eggers and 2 white rocks. They free range during the day and return to coop in the evening. Will they lay their eggs during the day outside or in the coop in the evening? We are new to this and are anxiously awaiting the first eggs. Anyone know?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom