Comb is needing and badly hurt

Irishkillian

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
Help! My little bantam is being picked on and her comb looks pretty bloody. I put her in the run by herself just now but the other 4 girls have to come home to roost soon. What should I do to help her injury, prevent further attacks and is it ok for her to roost with the others at night?
4192DD59-5729-4016-A4EA-4D896D9BBF6E.jpeg

Attachments

• A87472F7-16F0-4F7D-9334-4B49EB73E198.jpeg
    A87472F7-16F0-4F7D-9334-4B49EB73E198.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Oh dear, is she new or just low on the pecking order? You can but neosporin on it but we need to figure out your flock politics.
She is the smallest. I have two buff orphingtons and two black sex links. She went broody back in April and finally gave up in July. I have noticed that she is the lowest on totem pole. She is the last to eat a treat and everyone will take it from her. Last week, I found blood in the nesting box. A few days later I lifted the nesting box top and saw my BSL pecking her head as she sat in the nesting box to lay an egg. Two days ago I saw a little aggression while I gave them all treats. Again BSL pecking her head. Today, I threw treats to to them and noticed her bright red bloody head. I’m so sad for her. I put her in a dog crate inside the run to keep her safe. I was thinking of popping her onto a roosting pole once everyone falls asleep so she is safe inside the coop tonight. I supposed I’ll have to rise before sunrise to put her back in the crate. I don’t get it though bc they all free range from morning to night. She seems very stressed to be separated from them in the crate right now. Please let me know what you think. Thank you!!

It is probably related to her being broody for so long and not a part of the flock, plus her smaller size. Broody hens should be broken right away if they are not going to sit on eggs. When they sit for such a long period, they may become weak and malnourished.

I would leave her in the dog crate with food and water. Place her with the flock. If you can put a little log or roost in the crate, that might be good. I would get her comb healed, and then try reintroducing her very gradually with supervised visits. Since they will be able to interact but not hurt her, the crate may make it easier to reintegrate. But it might not work out. I have had to put a hen on the other side of the chicken fence and let her free range on her own. At night, I put her in her dog crate and let her out every morning to the other side of the fence. Eventually, she got back into the flock, but was on her own.

I would heal the comb first. If they see blood it will never heal. I would think about removing the aggressive one too. I agree that when a hen goes broody they get weak. It seems mean to break them by putting them in dog crate but it is best for them. It only took my bottom totem girl 2.5 days to get broken. Take care of your girl.

Back
Top Bottom