Comb issue... please take a look

AmyBella

Songster
13 Years
May 26, 2009
Western MA
My girl's comb flops to the side and has started looking bad. I noticed that she's getting picked on this weekend... mostly pecked on the comb.
sad.png

32463_dsc00763.jpg

32463_dsc00765.jpg

32463_dsc00772.jpg

There's no blood. I can't tell if the black spots are dirt, pox or scabs. There is kind of a whitish, powdery haze over the comb toward the back, and one place where the skin looks crusty and flaky. I'm pretty sure that it isn't frostbite.

I was thinking about trying to wash it and maybe putting on some neosporin. Does that sound like a good idea? I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

I would wash the comb off to see what is going on. Sometimes the spots are blood from being picked on sometimes they just wash away. To me she looks a little under the weather. Give her some vitamins and some extra special food just for her and then the others. Make sure she eats her fair share because she seems to be on the end of the pecking order.

Why are her nostrils so dirty? Is your coop dusty? Is the nose crusty? Maybe the start of a respiratory problem?

The rooster is hanging on for balance. I could take a pic of a dozen different hens of mine that look just like that right now, with young roos learning their craft.

This hen looks like she has a bit of a natural wave to her comb. You can see where it starts in the front (at her beak) and finishes towards the back. Some take a while before they flop, as they mature. Her eyes look bright and the spots on her comb look like normal pecking order or mating pecks.

She looks like my Golden Comet. Mine has a curvy comb w/ no problems. She looks like she's getting pecked at, probably by roo. Is she laying? If so, I'd say she's just low on the pole.

Dorothy is a golden comet, about nine months old. She is a good layer and she does eat and drink well although she's definitely on the bottom of the pecking order. "Mr. Big" seems to like her and he is not too experienced with romancing the ladies yet.
big_smile.png
He really does hang on for dear life!

I noticed the dirty nostrils too. She's a little crusty, but seems really healthy otherwise. I'll give her some vitamins and extra attention just in case.

I'm glad to know that the comb floppage is normal! I saw a really awesome shoe that someone made for a chicken with bumblefoot... perhaps my girl needs a little helmet?
lol.png

Quote:
I am pretty certain that it isn't frostbite. I have been checking them all very carefully since it is so brutally cold. Her comb has not frozen.

Back
Top Bottom