comb pulling away from head

filmcmahon

Chirping
Nov 3, 2019
Ontario
so today after school i went outside to free range the gals for an hour. we had a run-in with a hawk a while ago so we supervise them each time we free range them for now by the way. anyways, there were no issues or anything out of the ordinary, so you could imagine the shock when i went back out 15 mins later and our head hens scalp was covered in blood!! our coop design is “compact” with the coop hanging over the roofed in run. there is also a little “hut” attached off the side of the run for egg laying and warmth while the lazy ones wait for us to put them up in the coop for bed. i will insert a pic. anyways i opened to rip of the run to pick up Ellie because she is always there but i nearly screamed when i saw her face!! it was covered in blood! me and my brother brought her inside to show my parents and ask what to do. we applied pressure with paper towel for 15 mins then had to go out so we put her in the coop with the other sleeping birds. it appears that the blood is coming from where the back of her rather large comb meets her head. i will insert a pic. we are planning to isolate her in our XL dog crate beside the run during the day tomorrow. will this be ok? what can i do to heal it? can she be with the others at night?
the only sign of blood in the hut and run is splatter in the hut and two little drops on the entrance into it. there are also a couple screw ends poking thru the top of the little hut (which opens from the top) but how would they cut that spot on the comb?!

other info:
flock size is 4 standards 2 bantams (2 plymouths 2 colombians 1 colombian that never matured (
- size of a silkie- and 1 smooth silkie) they are about 6 months old and are laying despite winter here in ontario. one of our plymouths named Chick has been VERY aggressive towards all the other birds since the week after the hawk attack. our silkie was the one who got attacked but we were watching them from inside the house out the window and saved her.

Attachments

• 4564D15A-7969-46C9-A107-115B5DD0F40E.jpeg
    4564D15A-7969-46C9-A107-115B5DD0F40E.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 53
  • B098EC10-4FC9-44B1-A14F-521B115FF9D2.jpeg
    B098EC10-4FC9-44B1-A14F-521B115FF9D2.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 66DF8CAD-3288-40CF-BFFC-4BA6F8BF26D6.jpeg
    66DF8CAD-3288-40CF-BFFC-4BA6F8BF26D6.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 19
I would keep her separated in the crate but in sight of the other chickens 24/7. You can use Vetericyn wound spray or plain Neosporin on the comb. It looks like it is separated. Watch it closely the next few days, since when she shakes her head, it may bleed again. Hopefully, it may heal, but sometimes people have to cut off or dock just the part that is separated from the scalp with sharp scissors.

I would keep her separated in the crate but in sight of the other chickens 24/7. You can use Vetericyn wound spray or plain Neosporin on the comb. It looks like it is separated. Watch it closely the next few days, since when she shakes her head, it may bleed again. Hopefully, it may heal, but sometimes people have to cut off or dock just the part that is separated from the scalp with sharp scissors.
will do. do you think this was caused by a flock mate, or a catch?

Back
Top Bottom